A bit of fun for Christmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished this for my 17-month old on Christmas Eve (just in time! :whistle:):

tractor.jpg

Not exactly fine cabinetmaking, but good fun nonetheless. The customer seems to be very pleased anyway!

Cheers,
Neil

It's better than the finest cabinet making. It's a practical example of a father's love for his son, and that's the most beautiful woodwork in the world.

Gill

Gill":1u0ayuzl said:
It's better than the finest cabinet making. It's a practical example of a father's love for his son, and that's the most beautiful woodwork in the world.

Gill

So true Gill.
Looks well Neil and I'm sure the young man will get many miles out of it.
I had plans to build a rocking horse for one of son's 2nd birthday. He's now 12 and the plans are still, well, plans.

Rgds

Noel

It looks great, what finish did you put on it.

I've made loads of toys over the years, for my two kids (now 28 and 26). They still have them all and I hope they will pass them on to the grandchildren whenever they come along.

I have made Richard Blizzard's forklift truck (my avatar), Land Rover and am in the middle of making the Rolls Royce. I hope they will end up as family heirlooms.

Wooden toys are so much more durable than than any plastic versions.

This I like , well done M8

I feel sorry for children these days , all the toys are made of plastic and designed to last at least 1/2 hour before something breaks off

Proper job !!

Great toys - I agree that the wooden toys are the best- when my two were about 4 or 5 I made loads of extra track, buildings and bridges for the Brio train set from the ELC....its all now in a big box in the loft waiting for the grandchildren...few more years to go tho' - Rob

Thanks, everyone - lovely words, Gill :D

Shultzy, its unfinished at the moment - the plan is that he can 'help' paint it when he gets older. Forklift looks great - keep us posted on the RR.

Its going down really well and seems to be the most popular of his presents, so I'm very pleased \:D/

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":1a9efv14 said:
Thanks, everyone - lovely words, Gill :D

Shultzy, its unfinished at the moment - the plan is that he can 'help' paint it when he gets older. Forklift looks great - keep us posted on the RR.

Its going down really well and seems to be the most popular of his presents, so I'm very pleased \:D/

Cheers,
Neil

Great job - looks really nice. Is it your own design?

As for finishing it, why paint it at all? It'll take a log time to get a good finish and, over the years, paint will chip and wear. Plus it hides that beautiful wood. You might want to consider varnishing or waxing it. If you want to see what a wax fnish might look like, take a look at my 'Monster Truck' post.

CYC":1fpt4ohn said:
Did you make the little cubes with letters on too? :shock:
No, 'fraid not - bought them from the ELC :oops: I was pushed to make the deadline as it was, plus as you know, I hate painting as much as you do... :wink:

Re: painting the tractor itself, it will only get painted if the little fella really wants it to be - SWMBO and I both prefer the unfinished wood.

Thanks again, everyone.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, great toy. The inner glow I still get from watching my own kids (and others) play with anything I've made is far greater than the satisfaction achieved from producing a piece of furniture.

Andy

Back