A bit of advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jumps......Thank you for that! Its crystal clear now. I was confused about the expansion mode...actually about it all...expansion, compression....length of spigot in the throat of the chuck. I was only concentrating on getting a 5mm dovetail joint....I thought that would be enough to hold it. Like you say...its dependant on different factors. I had been reading the manual when you replied. Seeing the pictures helps massively...lol. I shall print them off!
Thanks so much for taking the time in helping me understand :D

Thanks Woodspoiler. I wasn't offended. I knew deep down it was beyond my capabilities and needed to be told to step away. I get frustrated when I can't grasp something quickly. I used to have the patience to sit and work on a drawing for 30hrs, mastering different techniques....but I suppose there is a massive difference between holding a pencil to paper as to watching a piece of uneven wood spinning furiously with a rusty gouge in hand :shock: Little steps I reckon!! And taking onboard all this wonderful advice on the forums. I have a lot to learn....and being patient is one of them :D

Wood spoiler":3mid4jdy said:
I do tend to agree with Peter. The pieces you are attempting are ambitious.

As someone in his second year of woodturning my considered opinion is that you have taken the best possible step to learning the craft ... By joining this forum. I found it to be the very best step towards learning what i needed to do.

By posting your pictures and asking the accompanying question will usually elicit your answer and sound advice. You will find that we all started ineptly but the knowledge and experience of members flows freely. Keep on doing as you are and you will learn what you need to know to create your own masterpieces and equally importantly to do it safely.

I agree with all said when I first started turning just under two years ago I was physically shaking with what I was doing, sharp tools (well I thought so at the time) and a very fast turning lathe, bits of wood flying all over the place.
I watched many youtube videos and joined a forum in America, It is extremely friendly and has taught me many techniques, but does not give much constructive criticism.
This site on the other hand so far has pushed me further and further. I never thought that I could enter a competition, but have read and studied what has been said here and am getting slowly better (well I think so).
What I think I am trying to say is go slowly and learn to be safe, the wood wont say sorry when it hits you.

Terry

Back