A bit of advice explanation please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteHB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have settled on two lathes but really can one justify the price difference, they are the Axminster AT 350 WL and the AT 406 WL the real difference is in power the 406 is double at 1.5Kw which for sure would be useful as my skills develop the max diameter is 2" larger for the 406 and whilst the distance between centres is again over double at 700mm as opposed to 300mm. I can buy the identical machines in France at €1130 and €2350 both cheaper than Axminster which is a first for me buying tools over here. I have little doubt that the smaller of the machines is OK and would be adequate but will I outgrow it and regret not buying the larger. The 406 is about as large as I can find room for. I can afford it but am aware that with tools and chucks etc it is going to cost a lot more than my initial expectations of €1500 probably €3500 or more with changes to grinding wheel etc.

If you buy a machine with more capability you can grow with it otherwise you will grow out of it and wish you had brought the larger machine, often power is key otherwise it may struggle and you end up spending more time taking lighter cuts.

I started out with a small lathe then I got a big lathe and now I have the previous incarnation of the 406, I bought it because I knew I would never need to upgrade again. If you can afford it, do it.

I was in the same conundrum with the same lathes about 18 months ago and I’m so happy I went with the 406. Nice piece of equipment and solid. Go big.

Decision made and it's neither I have found a Record Coronet Regent for €30 more than the 406 and it seems a significantly better piece of kit. Now to source the tools chucks and the rest of the necessaries my wife will be pleased.

Back