A bit of advice, 'chuck'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Hope you all enjoyed the festivities. Now, I have a Draper WTL12 lathe. I have turned a few items, but nothing I am really pleased with. I would like some advice please as to what chuck would fit it as I don't want the usual marks from the current set up. I have looked at a few, but don't really know which to buy. Has anyone owned one of these lathes & bought a chuck for it? Or knows someone who did? Any advice welcome. Any questions I will try to answer with my limited knowledge as best I can.

Cheers, Sliver.

Googling for some pictures of aforementioned lathe,believe it is 3/4" x 16tpi thread - this is the relevant bit to "will it fit?"
Following a couple of recent threads on the "which chuck" theme,Versachuck,Supernova2 and Axminster Clubman series all seem to be a good bet - although all of them will cost more than the lathe :wink: (don't ask me why,they just do..)

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Quick reply mate, can't you sleep? :lol:
I looked on a site called RDG tools online who are based in Hebden Bridge but I will send then an e-mail to check sizes. Your size check has confirmed I was right in my thinking. I wasn't sure how old the lathe is & was not sure if it was metric or imperial. I was leaning toward imperial.

You know....I can sound really quite inteligent if I try hard enough :lol:

Cost more than the lathe......I paid 26 quid for it on ebay from a man who lived in the next town..Think he moved to Spain or somewhere. So the chuck WILL cost more (dammit) I don't mind if it gets results.

Thanks again Andrew, Sliver.

PowerTool":6lhizr4x said:
although all of them will cost more than the lathe :wink: (don't ask me why,they just do..)
Its because the amount of accurate machining in a good chuck is more (by quite alot) than on most wood lathes. :-k

sliver":3jpd2i2z said:
I would like some advice please as to what chuck would fit it as I don't want the usual marks from the current set up.
What "usual marks" are you getting? These "marks" will be caused by some imperfection in the machinery or setup. I started with a single-pole lathe, which was like a fairy tale - Grimm! The headstock bearing was poor and keeping the tailstock in line was a bit hit and miss, mostly down to the weak locking levers.

sliver":3jpd2i2z said:
Has anyone owned one of these lathes & bought a chuck for it?
That's exactly what I did, but - luckily - I thought ahead and bought a good chuck with a replaceable insert (Axminster Super Precision). When I upgraded my lathe (as I suspect you will end up doing), I just had to get a new insert to fit the new lathe thread and my lovely chuck fitted right on.

HTH

Ray.

Right, having to rewrite all this as computer shut down just as I hovered cursor over 'submit' button.

Ray, thanks for your reply. The marks I refer to are made by the Arbour? I believe it is called. The tapered bit that digs into the wood from the headstock. I'm sounding really thick now aren't I? Seen 2 types of chuck on RDG Tools site, one a taper fit & one a screwfit. I will also check out the Axminster one you mention too. I have two facepates, one left hand thread for the outboard side & one right handed for the inboard side. With a chuck I can eliminate screw holes & the like.

Thanks again. Sliver.

sliver":1myo9xj8 said:
The marks I refer to are made by the Arbour? I believe it is called. The tapered bit that digs into the wood from the headstock.

Right - I understand now - the drive prongs that dig into and drive the wood round. OK - I was concerned that you were getting marks caused by an out-of-true bearing, vibration, misalignment, etc. which does not seem now to be the case. :)

Ray.

sliver":1ry4li3y said:
...snip... The marks I refer to are made by the Arbour? I believe it is called. The tapered bit that digs into the wood from the headstock.

sliver, "Drive Centre" is the common term you are looking for.

If you have a a piece that needs to be held between centres but you don't want the marks, try hot glueing a sacrificial piece of wood to it, this can be removed afterwards by careful use of a chisel

Or just leave a 1/4" or so piece of waste at the drive end and part-off in front of that when you have finished turning......

Cheers, Paul. :D

Ray, sorry I didn't explain very well.

Chas, Thank you, silliest names that escape me sometimes. & thanks for the tips.

Paul, Thanks also for your tip. Chas said I needed to carefully use a chisel, what time can you get here? Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops: :lol:

Back