A bit abstract -critique welome " Macabre"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I think the lower part is immediately attractive, while the upper irregular portion looked ugly, however looking closer and seeing how the spalting runs through the 'stacked plates' transcending the physical shape, while the lower half is the opposite, with a regular construction tying together mixed grain patterns, gives it a hidden depth and I love it. =D> =D>

Unfortunately it brings out the inner pseud :oops:

I think the workmanship and finish looks excellent. Your piece seems to me to have a strong feeling of balance and proportion.
However, for my money, the different parts don't work so well as a whole. It looks like a (superbly done) piece of segmented turning fastened on to nice piece of multi-centre turning.
Having said that, it's certainly a fascinating and unusual piece, which must have taken a lot of work.
Looking forward to seeing your next!
Ian

I have looked at this several times before making any comment :-k

Sorry it does nothing for me , No balance ( Although it stands up )

To me it looks like a lot of leftovers assembled into something :?

Sorry to be harsh

I think its brilliant- its different- its skilful and it makes me want to look at it over and over again.

Not so much a critique but if you were to make another i would have liked to have seen the main segmented form more organic and maybe a rounded bottom- and the eccentric turning more offset so it really makes more movement away from the central column.

congratulations- i wish'd i'd thought of it. =D>

clearly there are the love it and hate it - so, in the best 'on the fence' tradition.......

I absolutley love the piece - brilliant

I hate the title :)

I agree it takes some relooking, but i really like this piece.

I also agree with George that maybe a more rounded or organic lower part might look nice. I think i'd also make the black stand parts more organic - maybe branch wood or antlers. Perhaps that's just my taste and style though!

Anyway, good work!

At first I wasn't sure, then I looked some more. Don't get the title as has been said.

The execution is great especially the segmented work. I would prefer the lower portion to flow a bit more but the overall effect is intriguing. The spalting makes the top section work IMHO.

I like it. =D> =D> =D>

mikec

I love it. It makes me think of Dr Seuss, Tim Burton, and Bellevue Rendezvous. Really works for me exactly as it is.
The sort of object everyone would see something different in.

drillbit":1a1wpa79 said:
I love it. It makes me think of Dr Seuss, Tim Burton, and Bellevue Rendezvous. Really works for me exactly as it is.
The sort of object everyone would see something different in.

agree. it says pot bellied hag with a walking stick to me!
beautifully finished :)

Thanks All for your kind comments.
This took several weeks in the planning and design.
The turning itself was a much shorter process in comparison apart from the segmented work which is a labour of love in itself
I did struggle with the mode of mount at the bottom of the segmented piece as the original intention was the make the foot seem to disappear into the bowl hollow.
This did look good on the drawings but not only would it not have been readily seen (unless looking under the piece) but it did not allow the seperation between the two to be obvious (I wanted this to be a part of the design)
I did try spalted sycamore for the eccentric bit but not only was the colour not right but the spalting itself was not optimal.
The ebony mid piece has clear acrylic seperating it and the ivory is delicately textured as well - this took quite some effort to get the pleated texture on the ivory bit.
I tried to but did not I think achieve a good result where shadows/lighting are concerned - I can now see in the finished piece that this could have been accounted for even better
Yes - the piece could mean many things to many people and hopefully will bring some joy to some atleast
I for one found the journey very enjoyable

Latest posts

Back