A birch shall have to be felled

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBT85

Established Member
Reaction score
With the workshop looking like it might actually get built this year, a couple of birches are going to have to come out of the middle of the lawn (don't ask why they were planted there, my mother in law has a habit of doing it and it was their house before it was ours).

While they are far from grand old trees it would be nice if they or a bit of them could be used to make something even if only small, but I have no idea how much use the wood would be from a tree only maybe 175mm in diameter.

Is it worth even trying to get usable material from at this size?

yes, I think it is, if nothing else it has some meaning to it. commercially, obviously is it different matter, but since you need to drop the trees anyway, it isnt much extra to keep some lengths.

do you turn?

if all else fails, save a couple of 6" pieces and I will make you a couple of pens.

Assuming that you plan to dig the stump out, leave at least six foot of the trunk in place to act as a lever.

marcros":3mf5cop2 said:
yes, I think it is, if nothing else it has some meaning to it. commercially, obviously is it different matter, but since you need to drop the trees anyway, it isnt much extra to keep some lengths.

do you turn?

if all else fails, save a couple of 6" pieces and I will make you a couple of pens.
Oh it wouldn't be for commercial use of course, not at this size. Just for us here. The trees were planted I think the year my wife was born so if I could do anything at all with some of it for my wife and her mum it would make up for the loss of the tree a little.

I don't turn but its not something I've discounted trying at a later date. I just didn't know if trees of this age would be useless because of heartwood or sap wood or whatever.

We'll also be planting some trees along the driveway (away from anywhere I might want to build a garage) as a replacement.

That's a very kind offer, thank you! Its the kind of gif my mother in law would appreciate.
lurker":3mf5cop2 said:
Assuming that you plan to dig the stump out, leave at least six foot of the trunk in place to act as a lever.

Not sure yet if its coming out or just being cut down below the surface and covered. Probably best to get it out.

It shouldn't be too hard to dig out a birch of that diameter with 6ft or so of trunk, and the root bole can make an excellent bowl. I'd pressure wash the soil off, seal it all up and stash it somewhere to dry.

These are going to come out in the next couple of weeks.

Once out of the ground, exactly what should I do? Just cut it into lengths of a certain size? Lop the ball off the end, wrap it up and put it under cover? Try and manhandle some though my Bs250?

As I said, I don't have a lathe and probably won't have one for a while (though I'm a bit like a kid in a toy shop tbh). Would be nice to be able to maybe make a chisel box or something from some of it one day.

General rule is to keep it as long as possible for as long as possible and split or saw it in half down the length, so you have long half logs. Seal the ends with whatever you have around- was, sealant, paint, pva glue - anything to slow down drying and therefore splitting.
Under cover, air circulating, with sticks between them so air does circulate.
HTH
Greg

DBT85":qanqswz6 said:
Once out of the ground, exactly what should I do? Just cut it into lengths of a certain size? Lop the ball off the end, wrap it up and put it under cover? Try and manhandle some though my Bs250?

As I said, I don't have a lathe and probably won't have one for a while (though I'm a bit like a kid in a toy shop tbh). Would be nice to be able to maybe make a chisel box or something from some of it one day.

Back