a big tool I saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Fond as many of you are of aged tools, I saw this yesterday at the Hampshire Country Show...

photo.JPG

I was compelled to take the picture just for the array of safety precautions used, however the user did make sure the blade was blunt so it won't cut as fast, cutting through about 3" thick birch logs the tractor powering it was audibly labouring away. I was hesitant to go as close as the fence round him and I certainly wasn't going to walk behind him within 30 feet.

Also on display was a blacksmith offering "£5 to have a go at making something". The teacher was wearing safety glasses (of course, who wouldn't, you'd have to be an silly person!) but the kid bashing away with the hammer on the hot metal over the anvil wasn't and his eyes can't have been more than 20" from it.

I wonder if I'm overly cautious (even though I cut coves on the table saw and would use a dado blade if I could fit one) or have some people really got no clue? :roll:

Aidan

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 229
According to the sign on the back of the tractor this was Ejit number 22.

Presumably there were at least 21 other Ejits to find and a prize if you got them all.

That is a ferguson cordwood log saw from the 1950's.
That looks to be exactly how it was when made. Approx 30" blade and 26 hp engine providing the power.
Not particularly dangerous as long as the sliding table is fully retracted before you move the next log along.
He is trying is best with health and safety he's fitted a flashing warning light.

Back