a big oak door...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
i need to make a big oak door for this opening:
Photo15.jpg

I fancy the medieval look, and the kids would love it too ! bnot sure about their mum though !
but ayway, i was thinking of taking an unconventional approach:
the fixed frame is solid ok.
the door is made from like a traditional door, i.e two vertical beam, a round part on top, two horizontals (bottom and middle).
what would be different is the "filling" in between the beams. rather than use thick plancks in a loose frame approach, (25mm-30mm), i fancy using two layers of oak clading, with insulating foam in the middle. still floating in the frame.
This would give me a thick (30-40mm) but lighter door.
Is that doable ?

Did a front door at the end of last year and the panel for that was done with a celotex insulation core, 4mm ply each side of that and finally deepsawn oak about 5mm thick stuck to the ply Vertical strips were added to the single panel to make it look like 4 vertical panels. Styles and rails are traditionally M&T jointed.

thea3.jpg

J

Jason

That is a lovely looking door, well done.

Have you glued the 5mm oak to the ply? If so what about movement caused by exposure to the elements or am I missing something?

What do you mean by "deepsawn oak" as I have not come across that term before.

Yes the ply was vacuum pressed onto the ply, its really only a thick veneer. There is a porch but that really only keeps the rain off, listed buildings people would not allow a new door on teh porch, just some patching up.

Deepsawn is just a term for cutting across a board to mak eit thinner, in this case I started with 1" x7" planed the two faces then split it down the middle on the bandsaw before thicknessing the cut faces.

It was a fun door to hang, if you look at the hinge side style you can see where it tapers as the frame was 1" narrower at the bottom and the whole wall also leans back into the house by over an inch. You can possibly see it better from the inside, door is hang straight off the oak frame of the house

thea5.jpg

thanks for the inspiration !
my composite panels will be made of slightly thicker oak than yours (i'll be using oak cladding, probably) but the idea is the same !

Back