A Benchtop Raiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I spent the afternoon with Chris (Waterhead37) in is workshop (helping me with another project). Chris showed me his benchtop raiser and suggested it may be something which would benefit me. Being workshopless, I have resorted to working on the dining table. When I got home I had another look at Adam's raiser and set about designing my own. Chris suggested a design which incorporated a front vice. Initially I designed the whole lot in hardwood. But to buy the wood PAR would have worked out around £200 for the whole project. Too close to xmas for that sort of outlay. So I went with softwood and mdf and it worked out about £40.

100_0360.JPG

The top is 3 layers of 18mm MDF, framing is 2x4 softwood and vice jaws 2x6

100_0361.JPG

It's a bit chunky for what it is but will do the job for now. I am looking at it as a prototype. Obviously when I get my workshop ( [-o< ) I will have different height work surfaces, so the raiser will probably have to be rebuilt. I think the raiser is a fantastic idea and it will certainly save my back. It will enable me to do a lot more work in the conservatory.

100_0363.JPG

Just need to drill out the dog holes and dream up a solution for the handles.

Thanks to Chris and Adam for the inspiration.

Looks very good. Perhaps I should add one of those vices to the front myself.!

Adam

Cor, these raisers are definitely the new 'must have' on UKWorkshop, aren't they? :lol:

Looks great, Wizer - nicely made 8)

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks all, fastest project to date!

hmm wonder if trying to get another project finished for xmas is being too adventurous :-k

dedee":25dnrk02 said:
Nice idea well done. That vice certainly makes it even more usefull Andy

Just right for cutting dovetails I think? :lol:

Adam

Back