• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

A B&Q offer that surprised me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
So there I was loaded up to the gunnals with plasterboard ( its on offer this week) for my Dads new extension when I saw a box of remote control sockets. A set of three sockets and remote able to handle upto 3Kw (4HP) each for the price of £19.99. I bought one to try out and it works fine on my 3HP dust extractor.

Just thought I should let you all know.

Al

the_g_ster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

They also have the Siemens room control stuff on offer at my B&Q, the remote on the sockets has transformed using my dust extractor that's a bit on the large side now. You just hit the remote as you start up whatever machine and sorted. I am going to move into a new building next to the shed so hoping it works for that too.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I will have to get some, if only because I cannot picture how a remote socket would work (homer)

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of these remote sockets, they were advertised for £17.99 in store and I got them for £14.99 when I used my trade card :)

They seem like a good idea, especially considering that I have to reach under my bench to turn my lathe and grinder on! Is there a way to modify the dust extractor so that when I switch it on with the remote it starts? or do I still have to walk to it and press the button?

Thanks!

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye out at the larger Asda stores too - I've picked up a few sets (of 3) for around £10 and they are rated at the full 13A.

Dibs

wardroom

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased these remote control sockets last year, they gave me a great deal of trouble then eventually gave out on me.
I tried to get a refund (no receipt) at b&q then tried Siemens them self but I find out they do not supply so I have ended up with 3 sockets not working. Looked at maplins site and got three different types and they have been good so far.

Tinbasher

Established Member
Reaction score
You might find that your Seimens sockets will work with the maplins remote. I bought a cheapo set ages ago and they died. I then bought a replacement from maplins and the old sockets work with the Maplins remote.