90 degrees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
How would members with a 5" wide board of timber who wanted a perfect 90 degree cut at its end suitable for making a dovetail box etc proceed?

table saw
SCMS saw
bandsaw
handsaw
jigsaw
etc.

And if they would then have to do a hand finish?

DW

If it is for a dovetailed box I wouldn't care what I used to cut it as I would not consider even marking it out until it had been on my shooting board.

I have cut them with hand saws and occasionally my powered mitre saw, but always 'shoot' them first to get absolutely perpendicular, smooth ends.

I usually use the hand saw for DT boards

Personally, Xcaliber table saw with Osborne mitre gauge-leaves a perfect polished cut.
Used to use a shooting board though, pre-Xcaliber!
Cheers
Philly :D

Whatever equipement you feel comfortable and confident in that will give you a perfect 90. if you cant get a good 90 shoot it on a board.
there are many ways to cut wood but stick to what works best for you....if you want to experiment use scrap pieces until your confident it'll cut the angle you want with minimum effort and clean up.
When i teach the odd apprentice i try to teach them confidence in what they are about to do...if they approach it with hesitation and wonder what to cut it with then most of the time it'll go wrong... trust your own ability and be confident then go and cut a 90 and it'll will work.
If you ever get the chance to see any of cosmans videos...watch his speed and accuracies...thats because he has confidence in what he does

Ian

Yup, while jealous of those with such excellent machinery, I'd not go near dovetails without shooting with a good plane.

Edit: I second Ian's point - Rob Cosman perfectly illustrates the point about confidence - although that is a reflection of confidence in the quality and tuning of his tools, as well as his skills... Tage Frid makes the same point in his books - something like 'I know it must go together if I've cut to the line'...

Well the SCMS is very accurate, and the cut is a smooth as a baby's behind, but the shooting board is always going to be your friend for this sort of task. To continue the confidence theme; it gives me confidence that at least I'll start with well prepared stock, and how I manage to screw it up from there is my own affair. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":1i6eg2ik said:
Personally, Xcaliber table saw with Osborne mitre gauge-leaves a perfect polished cut.
Used to use a shooting board though, pre-Xcaliber!
Cheers
Trust Philly to still be gloating since his rise to fame with his published Excalibur review. lmao

Ow Shucks! :oops:
Good thing you haven't seen the new issue of "The Woodworker" with my latest article (only 4 pages long!!!) :roll:
Cheers
Gloatster :lol:

Some of us could have done with the warning before they flicked through a copy in Smith's the other day. :roll: I got a few funny looks when I exclaimed aloud "not Philly again" :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I had already seen the cabinet for keeping planes tidy but hadn't seen who the author was.
I have now.
You'll be competing with Keith to do the Q/A pages next Philly. :lol:
I may join you before long having sent an idea to the 'top tips' page and been informed by Mark Ramez that it will be included as soon as possible.
Nothing as good as that plane cabinet, just a method of routing corner beads with a couple of cutters that are in every starter set instead of the expense of buying a proper corner bead cutter.

Philly":2wfookk7 said:
Ow Shucks! :oops:
Good thing you haven't seen the new issue of "The Woodworker" with my latest article (only 4 pages long!!!) :roll:
Cheers
Gloatster :lol:

I reckon it's downright inconsiderate to write for YAWWM. My shelves are quite crowded enough with the magazines I do take, without adding to the burden because my UKW buddies insist on contributing to mags other than FWW or GWW or Pop Wood. :wink:

And before you suggest I make yet more bookshelves please bear in mind that books have already taken over the house and I have no intention of making garden bookshelves - anyway have you seen the weather lately? :lol:

Chris
My apologies-I didn't realise that The Woodworker wasn't a Knight "must read" :lol: . You need to sort that out ASAP, Chris! :roll: :wink:
And yes, you did beat me with "YAWWM" :roll:

Philly":3df5znry said:
Chris
My apologies-I didn't realise that The Woodworker wasn't a Knight "must read" :lol: . You need to sort that out ASAP, Chris! :roll: :wink:
And yes, you did beat me with "YAWWM" :roll:

Philly,
Apology accepted (I'll just read it in the newsagents and pretend to be a top shelf lurker):lol:

(Yet Another Wood Working Magazine)

On hardwood my EB pkf255 with sliding table leaves a polished face on crosscuts, the quality of right-angularity depending on careful adjustment.
Same with my Festool MFT
John

waterhead37":qu65yvdm said:
Philly,
Apology accepted (I'll just read it in the newsagents and pretend to be a top shelf lurker):lol:

Well, since LOML was going to the town I asked her to bring me back a copy so that I could see what all the fuss was about.

Philly, congrats, it's a nice article but please enlighten me on photo 5 in the sidebar on half blind dovetails - is that a mutilated LN chisel or (hopefully) just a wannabe bevel edge that has received the treatment? BUT, if the latter, what was wrong with the LNs for this job?

Chris
Fear not! I haven't taken a grinder to my L-N's! :lol:
It is a cheapy chisel, with both sides ground back. Kinda a pair of skew chisels in one chisel?? You can get right into the corner of the socket (and both sides) with one chisel-couldn't be bothered to buy skews, you see..... :roll:
Cheers
ThriftyPhilly :D

Argee":jfxcekme said:
I'd use my Makita LS1013 SCMS with the breakout protector installed - but that's because I know how accurate it is. No doubt others have similarly-accurate table saws.

Ray.

Have the same saw ray, the angles are spot on very accurate. Just bl**dy heavy to lug about. In the middle of making workstation to sit it on
when using it in the workshop.

Simuk

Back