90 degrees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears that most forum members use their available machine saw and then resort to finishining off the crosscut by shooting on their planning board.

So a mailorder cheapo saw can make the cut and then handfinish????????

DW

that would work but it really depends on the quality of the 'cheapo' saw and how much planing you are prepare to do. Also, the type of wood.

I have used a B&Q tenon saw for this type of thing that cost me £7. It had rip teeth and I simply ran a stone over the sides of the points to reduce the kerf size. 5 years later, the saw still cuts very nicely and sees some use if it is the closest to hand.

Shooting board is an essential if you are making furniture in my opinion

Tony":2pic2ax6 said:
Shooting board is an essential if you are making furniture in my opinion

On the other hand.... I've made quite a bit of hardwood furniture, and 3 complete kitchens in hardwood, and I don't even own a plane. Ingenuity and the right machinery can overcome considerable deficiencies in hand skills such as what I have

John

True John, but my way costs considerably less (hundreds or perhaps thousands of £££s) and is far more fun :wink:

Alos, a shooting board does not require a great deal of skill to use :D

Tony":1zhptuyh said:
Alos, a shooting board does not require a great deal of skill to use :D

I've found when using my shooting board it pays me to clamp the timber being worked on down with one of those quick release cramps. and lately I have used a low angle block plane, weight being less to push :roll:

Interesting comment Devonwoody: a heavier plane tends to make shooting easier, all other things being equal: it gives you the mass/momentum to 'power' straight across the grain, and also gives a larger bearing surface (eg its side) for easier registration. Given that it's lying on its side on a platform, weight should not be an issue for you. Space, on the other hand, can be a problem.. I sometimes use my number 7 jointer on thick stock (reckon I could shoot concrete with that thing :D ), but it does need a lot of freespace to avoid smacking into things...

Hah! regard it as gentle exercise to keep you young and beautiful.. :wink:

However accurate the power saw might be and much as I enjoy having power tools to hand, I think shooting with my favorite plane (LV LA Jack) is just so much more...well... satisfying! 8)

Philly wrote:

It depends how big that project is though! RSI is not a lot of fun...

Really?... I didn't realise you suffered Really Severe Indigestion whilst hand planing!
:shock:

Latest posts

Back