8mm length screws needed - anybody have a source?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I agreed to fit some replacement single extension runners to an MFI chest of drawers. However, now I'm looking at it the depth of "wood" from the rebate to the inside of the drawer is only 9mm. I also have the thickness of the runner, so I am thinking that a number 3/8mm or, failing that, a 2/8mm and I can't find them!

The runners I have bought are these from Buller.

Does anyone know a source of these screws, I need 36, or is there another way to tackle this?

Thanks,
Neil

Given it's MFI, could you use 4mm countersunk bolts, with Nyloc nuts and padding washers on the inside? It won't look too elegant on the inside of the drawers but it'll be a far stronger fixing and won't stress the drawer carcase much. Cheaply and readily available in zinc plating.

It's not exactly a fine cabinetry solution, I appreciate...

Screw some 10mm, 3/8", screws through a sacrificial piece of 8mm stuff and grind the points off flush. Use a complete version of the screw to make the holes in the drawer side and swap for the shortened version. Or, use 6mm screws and glue.

xy

Often these runners are fixed by bolting through the drawside into a 4mm tapped hole in the runner, have a look and see if one of the holes is threaded?

Back