80mm square hardwood in south sumbria?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walney Col

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after enough square hardwood stock to make a set of table legs but not one of the local firms I've found are able to supply it.

Ideally 4 identical pieces of rough sawn stock each one being 32" long and anywhere between 3" and 4" square.

Delivery to South Cumbria would also be a massive boon as due to my health I'm finding it ever more difficult to get out and about.

Any ideas anyone?

Col.

I don't know south Cumbria, I grew up near Cockermouth, but I get all my timber from Laithes Mill near Penrith. They'll definitely be able to sort you out if you can find a way to have them collected.

I don't know what your budget is or whether it's a paying job but I wanted me some similar sized wood for an oak and slate topped coffee table on a limited budget.

I went for 3 untreated 8x4 2.4m oak sleepers yielded enough for the job for about £140. Had to sift through about 20 of them to pick the least checked ones as there were some real bananas so I'd definitely say to do the same.

I also had to be a very patient boy (not easy!) letting them dry out between getting them and taking to final dimensions but it's been roughly 10ish months in the house now and only minimal signs of movement in one piece so hopefully it'll stay fine.

Would laminating thinner stock be an option?

you could try home of wood. http://www.homeofwood.co.uk they have 3" stock, but you will nede to ask for them to cut them extra long, because they usually supply them for turning. I had a couple of batches at 12" and they are some nice pieces of beech and elm.

3" square table legs are hellish big though.

stiles and bates are another that i would try https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/produc ... /ELMSB_MST

sorry, nothing local to you

Thanks for the leads lads. No it's not a paying job. I've just built a machine that does barley/rope twisted/profiled legs etc. and wanted some cheap hardwood I could create a few test pieces out of. The signs so far are that I might just have built a machne I can't afford to run :-/ In theory laminating thinner stock would work but I don't even have a table saw so thatwould involve buying it in already planed which'd knock the price back up.

Col.

for test pieces, 3 or 4 bits of 4x1 pine pse should be readily available to laminate and shouldnt break the bank

I've just looked up the price of pine pse and decided to settle on that for making the test pieces out of. I know it won't cut as nicely as hardwood but with prices around £100 for four table legs worth I think I'll reserve that for when I've ironed all the bugs out of my machine.

Thanks for your help guys, the sawmills in particular look like being the best place to source it.

Col.

if you slather on some cellulose sanding sealer on the about to cut surface, it will probably help.

Back