8 x 4 CNC router buying advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m in the the early stages of researching buying an 8x4 CNC router and not sure what machines to look at? Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers don’t advertise their prices, which instantly puts me off.

The machine won’t get a huge amount of use in my workshop but I hope it will give me the flexibility and control I need that subbing the work out doesn’t. As such I don’t need anything super fast and tool changing is likely out of my price range

I am liking the look of the CKJ, in particular the entry level R13

spec I need
8x4 sheet size
Single phase
Ready to go, I don’t think I fancy a diy build kit with ongoing tweaking

thanks

simon

I’m not a CNC expert nor have one, just interested.

At first glance it looks good to me, they seem to be a genuine company, which can actually properly show it working.

lots of these 8 x 4 machines are Chinese imports with cheap components often non standard and low build quality.

For the price you won’t get an industrial woodworking CNC like a Biesse, Masterwood, Felder etc for that sort of money unless it’s pre 2005 and using out of date software.

A half decent Biesse or Masterwood from a dealer would be a lot more - but then you would get a fully industrial machine designed to work full time - lots of small woodworking shops buy one of these on finance, I know a 4 man shop that does stairs - he bought a Masterwood with software package. A complete stairs takes about 2 hours

I think I'm fortunate to live in Calgary Alberta Canada and being a member of #Protospace-a maker space.

I did a conversion of the lowest price 4x8 cnc simon89 mentioned, converted it to CDN$ and to put makerspaces in perspective, that 6234 pounds equivocates to 15 years of membership to my makerspace with 24/7 access to a 5x10 Precix single head 3axis, and access to licenced v-carve pro, with shared costs of maintenance and ancilliary costs.

IF YOU PAY 2% INTEREST TO FINANCE IT, THAT MAKES IT 20 YRS OF MEMBERSHIP

Eric

Yes I think decent support could be worth a lot of money and time!

the trend looks quite a clever bit of kit but doesn’t have the flexibility I am looking for that a gantry machine will offer

maker spaces do look good value and are a great access point for many. I think for my business needs the convince of being able to run the machine as and when I need should cover the additional cost. I know the 20mins drive to Screwfix is enough to put me off ‘just popping out’

yes that was some really key information! - I have a VAT registered business. while I enjoy what I do, I don’t have the time for hobby woodwork / tool repairs.

Hi,

I’m in the the early stages of researching buying an 8x4 CNC router and not sure what machines to look at? Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers don’t advertise their prices, which instantly puts me off.

The machine won’t get a huge amount of use in my workshop but I hope it will give me the flexibility and control I need that subbing the work out doesn’t. As such I don’t need anything super fast and tool changing is likely out of my price range

I am liking the look of the CKJ, in particular the entry level R13

spec I need
8x4 sheet size
Single phase
Ready to go, I don’t think I fancy a diy build kit with ongoing tweaking

thanks

simon
I grabbed the mk 1 of YETI CNC, it is a stable user friendly machine. Great team behind it, and it's ALL BRITISH BUILT. Get in touch with Andy or Aaron.

Ho pe this helps.
Karl

Back