8 mm + thick knife steel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickJoW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi lads

Im looking at making a blade (picture attached) that has far thicker elements than the usual blade thickness... Since I dont have means to forge/forgeweld I was wondering does anyone know where i can get, say 1080 steel in around 8mm which should give me enogh material to introduce these facets. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• 26c1893473289e0687383827a32af875.jpg
    26c1893473289e0687383827a32af875.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 66
Try here? only show 6mm, but they might be able to supply 8mm for you, or point you in the right direction

I have no experience my self just watched a lot of episodes of forged in fire and they were the go to items

Is it going to be decorative only? Or are you expecting it to be used? And in what situation?

If it's decorative, use mild steel (wax, oil or laquer to prevent rusting), or a random piece of stainless.

If it's going to be used, and needs to hold an edge, so will need heat treating, then you're better off getting a piece of (known spec) ground tool steel than trying to make it with a random piece - then sending it to be heat treated by a professional, rather than risk ruining all your work by getting it wrong.

Zoro seems as good as anywhere to buy it from.

Old leaf spring *might* work: but it has a tendency to delaminate or warp, or snap, because of stresses built up in its previous life.

All great responses lads. I am very grateful.

To answer the questions it will be decorative, it is a gift for my brother.

If anyone has any suggestions on how one might "green" the piece then that would be great. Ill be sure to post pics of the finished item once its done. It will be my second blade, the first one was a bowie and sheath for my father. Here is a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 20210920_122221.jpg
    20210920_122221.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210920_122401.jpg
    20210920_122401.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 13
There's a book...

https://amzn.to/3Arz29X
It's not cheap, but it has hundreds of recipes for colouring metals with various chemicals, with colour plates of the effects.

Or a quick Google: although I think it will depend upon what type of steel you end up using.

This is a very useful site for all things related to metal finishing. Here is a site which has a lot of useful stuff on knife making....based in Oz

Back