8.A New toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Jacob, as can everyone else here. We're talking about 3D printed ones so try to stay on topic, there's a good chap ;)
Yes but can you make anything useful economically with one?

I would say that just like woodworking 3D printing could be just a hobby so the economics don't really mater, just think how much we spend on woodworking tools compared to the return in revenue, frightening thought. Unless people pursue these interest then technology will not progress so at some point in the future we will have 3D printers that can just make MDF furniture in situ, where will it all end?

It's a valid point (right materials/techniques for the job). I made a funnel for easy oil filling of a lathe, which was 3D printed (as turning from a piece of material would have been wasteful), but the threaded portion on the bottom was turned from steel and glued to the cone as 3D printed threads can be weak.

Whilst I could have made the funnel using other techniques the 3D printer is very useful for odd shaped parts that are time-consuming to make by hand.

Here's a few random examples of "stuff that a 3D printer is good for"...

The Colchester Chipmaster lathe has a forward/off/reverse switch for controlling the motor, but mine had a VFD conversion and was missing the original parts. A 3D printed bracket allowed a replacement switch to be mounted at the right angle to interface with a rod:

switch01.jpg

switch02.jpg

switch03.jpg

My lathe was also missing the mechanical variable speed gearbox, but I really like the original speed control design (a centre wheel that can be turned several times, in order to get an outer wheel with the speed readings to rotate (more slowly). A bit of lathe work, but mostly 3D printing, resulted in a part that reproduces the original behaviour of the speed control wheel, but now interfacing to a potentiometer (which controls the speed using a VFD)...

speed01.jpg

speed02.jpg

speed03.jpg

I have had a 3D printer for a few years now and wouldn't be without it. It has become an invaluable tool in my arsenal. Is it the be all and end all no, but then a hand plane is pretty useless if you want to drill a hole.
As a weekend metal/wood worker one advantage for me is I can design something in cad and print it up during the week, yes it can take a while but so what, I am working anyway and it just gets on with it.
I have made all sorts of useful items (I have never printed an ornament). I printed all the normal hose adaptors etc but it really comes into its own when you learn to draw (even TinkerCad is really useful). I have made a new control console for my milling machine, Indicator holders for the lathe and mill and prototyped components that are destined to be made in metal. It is a great way to visualise what you are making and make sure everything will fit before committing to a couple of days machining.
I have even printed stencils for my wifes cake making.
The thing with any tool is to learn to use it and understand what it can and (just as imprtantly) can't do.
In short it is a tool like any other. Will I be 3D printing the kitchen cupboards that are next on my project list, no definately not. Will I 3D print the router jig to make the fancy cut-outs my wife likes - you bet I will.

Plenty of input here and valid points. I spent 4 months on Facebook groups gleaning knowledge before I took the plung. I decided on the Creality Ender3 v2 again gaining information on the sites. This suited my needs as I am not interested in models or figures.
I bought from Creality uk and got a deal which included 2 x 1kg spools of PLA filament.
With the knowledge gained beforehand of YouTube and FB groups I was up and running pretty quick.
You need to be able to use a computer quite well in my opinion as you will struggle to get the full benefit otherwise.
I have had this since Xmas and on my 6 roll of filament and due to making stuff for friends and others the spools have cost me nothing.
It becomes addictive designing stuff and tweaking other stl designs to improve them.
I am by no means an expert on this just an hobbyist same as I was with my Neje Laser.

Yes but can you make anything useful economically with one?
Depends who you are. Company I work for is designing and making making robots. Far quicker to print the CAD drawings than machine them [EDIT: for the prototypes/test pieces]. Saves money and time. Does that count as economic? For me personally I cannot imagine a use at home..... (but I have said that before about tools and wound up buying them).

To make the above you need a something to produce it. One of the easy (cad) computer aided drawing softwares is Tinkercad. Once you have designed it you then need to put on another piece of software they call a Splicer. This will make the design into layers soo the printer can understand it and produce it. Layer by layer or slice by splice. Each layer is approximately .2 thick coming out of a .4mm nozzle.
Photos shown are items I have made with it.
View attachment 133460View attachment 133461View attachment 133462
Love the Spider-Man would you be willing to share the stl/step file.
cheers Gadget

I’ve had a 3D printer a few years and I can confirm it’s one of the best decisions to purchase. I have the Prusa mk3s mmu I have repaired broken parts on many of my tools using the right plastic made many tool helping gadgets and many parts for my hobby air rifle shootin.

More workshop stuff printed.

Wall hold mounts for the remote controls in the workshop, first one for the heater, a zero gap band saw table insert for the Jet JWBS16 and wall mount for the remote control for power sockets for dust extractor, radio and lathe led light batten.

None of these are available to buy, so just create and print them.

Attachments

• 79AF17B2-B6DC-4A79-9BCA-206BE9855981.jpeg
    79AF17B2-B6DC-4A79-9BCA-206BE9855981.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 9
  • E02251C6-D5A3-47F7-A750-3559D0BD45E7.jpeg
    E02251C6-D5A3-47F7-A750-3559D0BD45E7.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 452D6D39-4D49-4CBE-B196-6A70DF0BDECF.jpeg
    452D6D39-4D49-4CBE-B196-6A70DF0BDECF.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 05860389-55DC-407B-93A7-ADEA10F7AFCD.jpeg
    05860389-55DC-407B-93A7-ADEA10F7AFCD.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 8
  • F77EAEBE-39ED-44FF-BE7A-3D46B3F022BC.jpeg
    F77EAEBE-39ED-44FF-BE7A-3D46B3F022BC.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
Yes Jacob, as can everyone else here. We're talking about 3D printed ones so try to stay on topic, there's a good chap ;)
Yes. We're talking about 3D printed things - and that's very much ON topic. The point is that keen new 3D printer owners rush around, 3D printing EVERYTHING. In the case of a feather board, you need to step back and ask, "Is this a good way to make a feather board?"
It is not a matter just of how - or what filament. It involves engaging brain and asking, "Is this the best way to make, basically, a flat sheet of material with diagonal cuts in it?
You can see that the printer is 6.5 hours into a print and has used (wild guess) £5-£10 worth of filament. Again, my guess is that the design is one downloaded - so not a lot of time there. You can buy an ABS (stronger) featherboard for around £13 or, as Jacob says, make one in 5 minutes from scrap.
So, the point is... lovely and clever it may be; but is this the most appropriate technology?

Yes, I do have a 3D printer. Yes, I do use it for jobs where a 3D printer is appropriate. Yes, I do have several extractor hose adaptors. (And yes, Inspector, my cones are longer!!) In the same way, yes, I do have a small laser engraver - but I DON'T use it for printing rubbishy "etchings" of photos on wood or canvas just because it can. There are more appropriate ways to put a photo onto an item that will look better.

In a similar vein; my teacher used to say, "You can,, indeed, cross the Sahara in a Mini. It has been done. If you are considering crossing the Sahara though, you need also to consider whether a Mini is the most appropriate means of doing so. Or whether, perhaps, a camel might be better."

Probably not.

I have an Ender 3 and have printed all sorts of stuff including dust port adapters but mostly replacement parts for plastic things that have broken.

I use Tinkercad for simple stuff and Designspark Mechanical for more complex designs.
Thingyverse is also a great resource for designs.

Once you have designed it you then need to put on another piece of software they call a Splicer.

Actually slicer or slicing software - this converts the 3D design to code (called gcode) that is specific for your model of printer. I use Ultimaker Cura which supports a wide range of printers.

Back