73 x 48 mm timber - no longer made?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Long story short - renovating Edwardian house, have several existing studs that are 73 x 48 mm and need to add just one more to the row so I can board either side, i.e. needs to exactly match the 73mm depth (the 48mm doesn't matter so much).

However, I am unable to source it, closest I am getting (sawn dimensions) is either 75 or 70. Now 2-3mm off for a single stud isn't the end of the world and will most likely go with the 70mm and add some packers but just wondering if its an old/no longer cut dimension? my table saw is currently inaccessible otherwise this would all be moot :)

Old studs tend to be very uneven, it was probably sawn at 3" and has dried and shrunk a bit. Regularised timber makes site work much easier now.

Old studs tend to be very uneven, it was probably sawn at 3" and has dried and shrunk a bit. Regularised timber makes site work much easier now.
Ah that would make sense and yes I'm very much pro regularised. Thanks

you only need to take off 1mm each side of a 75mm piece, I'd take a hand plane to it.

Latest posts

Back