7" disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I've been given an old Record Power disc sander, model number DMG 250. It must be old because I cant find anyone selling them.
But I also cant find 7" adhesive discs.
Anyone know of a supplier? If it means having to cut down larger discs I dont think its worth the effort.

Just checked that link and others for 178 mm, but they all appear to be for slow speed floor sanders with very coarse grit and slots in the centres with velcro backing. This is a bench sander with a flat ali disc that needs self adhesive backings and I would be looking for finer grades, 180 and up.

I've got a smaller (5") disc sander which also has a smooth ali platen. I found a roll of self adhesive Velcro and stuck that (the hooks side only) to the platen so that I can use "standard" Velcro-backed sanding discs.

If, like me, you don't want to go to all the faffle of removing/releasing the table (which is normally quite close to the platen) you can cut out a semi circle of cardboard to slip between the platen and the abrasive disc when changing discs. Works well I find.

Don't know about your size, but at worst/as emergency measure (until you find a source), you can either cut down discs that are a bit too big, or cut rectangular sheets of Velcro-backed abrasive to size.

HTH

I used to stick ordinary alox paper to an alloy disc with non waterproof PVA. When the paper was worn, the disc got dropped in a bowl of water when he paper would just peel straight off. I used 115mm roll paper - a lot cheaper than precut discs, and you have huge choice of papers and grits. It's getting difficult to find PVA that hasn't some degree of water resistance, but one of the other non waterproof glues would do the same job. Waterproof PVA and impact adhesive are pigs to get off.

I already have a 6" disc and 4" belt sander, so this is a bit superfluous, but if I found an easy ready made supply of discs I might just use it to save keep changing grit numbers.

But as soon as any hassle factor arises, like having to cut my own discs, its just not worth it to me.

So next question, any suggestions for this motor and cast iron stand? :D :D
No, I'm not posting it to the uk. its must weigh at least 6 kg.

I'll go dig it out and see if theres room. From what I recall the platform is very tight to the disc.

Thanks for the suggestions

So move it away from the disc (it should be adjustable to a certain extent). That's what I was talking about with the semi circle of cardboard - leave a tab one side of the semi circle so you can get the cardboard out easily.

I havent looked all that closely at it yet. i had a minor spring clean yesterday and found it where I had put it 2 years ago when it was given to me.
So i will give it a closer inspection and see if its worth any effort.

Could anyone tell me, if anyone has experienced better results from their cheap 9" sander,
from these hook and loop discs?
Asking because I find it annoying dealing with that centrifugal wobbling of the disc.
Hollowing and flipping the work is a load of faff.
Tom

Only new bearings will stop centrifugal wobbling.
If new bearings are cheaper than a cheap sander, change them. If not, change the sander.

Well yeah, IF the bearings are shot, true.

But I would start off by making sure you centre the disc on the platen as well as you can. Do this by cutting out a half circle of cardboard/very thin ply/w.h.y. to EXACTLY the dia of the platen, WITH a little extra "lever" left on one side. Then slip the cut out semi circle against the platen, half circle down, ease the abrasive disc over the cut out, between the front edge of the sanding table and ply/w.h.y. Then gently rotate the platen by hand, so that the sandwich of ply/cardboard/whatever and the abrasive disc sink below the level of the sanding table, lining all up the abrasive on the TOP edge of the platen carefully as you go. Then rotate a little, grab the "lever" to gently pull the cardboard/ply/whatever out of the sandwich, leaving the abrasive disc quite nicely lined up with the platen.

NOT spot on, but near enough, and certainly works for me, with no really noticeable vibrations - AND takes longer to write about than to do!

Does the sander vibrate WITHOUT a disc installed? If yes, then probably shot bearings. If not, try the above.

HTH

If sunnybob is still there would he let me know if he sorted out velcro fixing for the sanding discs on his Record Power DMD250 as Ive just been given a almost new one and would like to see if he found something better than self adhesive discs. I tried to pm or start a conversation but the system wouldn't let me
thanks
or if anyone else knows this machine etc please advise
best regards to all

If sunnybob is still there would he let me know if he sorted out velcro fixing for the sanding discs on his Record Power DMD250 as Ive just been given a almost new one and would like to see if he found something better than self adhesive discs. I tried to pm or start a conversation but the system wouldn't let me
thanks
or if anyone else knows this machine etc please advise
best regards to all
He's gone from here but you can find him at thewoodhaven2 along with some other familiar names.

You can get heavy duty 50mm wide self-adhesive Velcro, fit strips of it side-by-side on the disc and trim to shape. It sticks really well. EG, here:

Heavy Duty Velcro | Marine Super Store

And here:

VELCRO Brand Heavy Duty Stick On Tape 50 mm x 1 m, Black: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

To be precise, 7 inches is 177.8mm, and discs sometimes described as 7 inches tend to be 180mm, which is fine. I use them on a plywood disc I made to fit on my lathe for small woodworking and woodturning projects, and usually buy a pack of 40 mixed grades hook and loop - ten each of 120, 240, 320, 400. (The buyer is away just now):

40 x 180mm Assorted Grade Hook & Loop Sanding Discs Diameter Circular Round Grit 5055058178077 | eBay

You can buy Mirka 180mm hook and loop discs in grades from 40 to 240 at this link. £5.80 for five, £8.90 for 10, £18.50 for 25 and £33.99 for 50.

180 mm Sanding Discs MIRKA 7 inch Pads Sandpaper Hook and Loop Grit 40-240 | eBay

I've no connection with any of these outfits other than as an occasional hobbyist retail customer. I also have a 150mm disc/belt sander which used stick on pads and some time ago converted that to hook and loop.

Drifting off topic, one of the little woodturning projects I occasionally turn is a 'cube in a cube in a cube' which calls for an accurately dimensioned 55mm cube. I use the 180mm hook & loop sanding discs mounted on a plywood disc with an internal dovetail held on the dovetail jaws of the lathe chuck, with the cube supported on a little 'table' held in the tool-post. By sanding all six sides in all orientations a precise cube is obtained, and by doing this on the lathe, the speed can be adjusted as desired. I just make them as 'conversation pieces' - I'm not clever enough to have designed the cubes or the technique - credit for that goes to pro woodturner Dave Springett). I use the same disc for sanding segments for segmented blanks of pen boxes.

Hope that's of help and interest.

David.

Attachments

• Cube sanding.jpg
    Cube sanding.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Cube in London Plane.jpg
    Cube in London Plane.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Iroko Cube2.jpg
    Iroko Cube2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5