UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a matter of interest does anybody (charley?) actually know how many of these 700 users are actually active ones? Looking at the members list there are 400 users with less than 5 posts and nearly 200 that have never posted at all. Of course just because you don't post frequently doesn't mean you aren't an active user of the forum. It would be interesting to know how many of the registered users have accessed the forum, either to read or post, in say the last 3 months and what percentage of the accesses are guest ones. I don't know if this sort of info is easily obtainable I would just be interested in how large the community here is.

Graeme

Unfortunately there are no 'user' stats on this forum software but the site stats do prove that the site does have a lot of active users.

I would say 50-100 of the members have signed up and then hardly ever visit the forums again.

There are hundreds of members that visit the forum daily/weekly and read the threads but only post when they have a question or need advice.

Thanks Charley,

Only 50-100 inactive users is pretty good. I had assumed that most of the users were people like myself that mainly read and only occasionally post. Do you have any idea what percentage your registered users makes up of the total visitors. The interest stems from another thread about the disappearance of woodworking from Discovey H&L and I got to wondering how large the target market for such programmes really is in the UK.

Graeme

Hi Graeme

froglet":2eh61116 said:
The interest stems from another thread about the disappearance of woodworking from Discovey H&L and I got to wondering how large the target market for such programmes really is in the UK.

IIRC the woodworking market in the uk is about thirty-six thousand. This was a figure quoted, again iirc, by Pete from GWW.

It really shows how small the market is in this country.

Cheers
Neil

Thats an unfortunately small number as I wouldn't have thought that we have enough consumer clout for H&L to take any notice of us at all.

Graeme

Hi Graeme

froglet":2u5dop9e said:
Thats an unfortunately small number as I wouldn't have thought that we have enough consumer clout for H&L to take any notice of us at all.

Yes, you're right. What H&L have been very successful at doing is to bring people into woodworking and thereby increasing the size of the market.

But, imho, it will never approach the size of the angling market.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":3w2klhnt said:
IIRC the woodworking market in the uk is about thirty-six thousand. This was a figure quoted, again iirc, by Pete from GWW.
Is that just the magazine-buying woodworkers though? Not everyone does, in the same way not everyone is internet enabled. Or if they are it may not even occur to them to look for woodworking fora. It's probably still a depressingly small figure though. :(

Cheers, Alf

From my marketing days I would say that to arrive at a figure of 36k is likely to be highly inaccurate simply because its so small. I don't mean that to be a criticism of Pete or Neil but the sources just can't be accurate at that level These figures are usually based on either self selecting info ie people freely providing info, entering comps etc or from telephone interviews, usually done in one or two TV regions and then extrapolated to match a national population.

To have therefore a percentage of national pop (based on 60m - guess for national total) 36k is 0.06%. Therefore you'd have to get a least one person saying they were a woodworker for every 1600 people interviewed! Normal sample sizes are normally much less than a 1,000 people. You can see then that if 2 people in 1500 had happened to be woodworkers then the UK woodworking popn would now be estimated at 72,000 :shock: At that level therefore its chance not statistical.

I think it must be considerably higher than that just to sustain the number of woodworking magazines on the shelves (whats GWW circ?) I only subscribe to GWW and FWW but there must be at least a dozen titles out there. Also if it really was that low then advertisers would find it cheaper and more effective to target us directly - you could easily buy the mailing lists and for a £1 a woodworker you could directly reach every woodworker in the UK for about a 10th of a press campaign.

However, it is depressingly small and certainly doesn't feel like we have much clout!

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

I think the circulation of GWW is 18K. I remember Pete, or maybe Andy, saying that they couldn't believe how some of the magazines kept going with very small circulations.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

That does suggest that the total figure of 36k is light - otherwise it means that half of all woodworkers in the UK buy GWW every month - which would be massively impressive (and rather unlikely although the quality deserves it)!

T

Hi Tim

I'm inclined to agree with you about the numbers being light.

Perhaps Andy or Pete could help out here, I'm going from what is after all a rapidly fading memory. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Hi Tim

Latest woodworking ABC figures show the following for UK and ROI: -

GWW 17,299
Practical Woodworking 9,439
Traditional Woodworking 8,611

I've ignored their rest of the world sales and just picked up a few magazines.

Now for the fishing brigade: -

Angling Times 67,997
Angling Plus 13,262
Advanced carp fishing 15,400
Fishing News 8,995
Fly fishing 13,028
Coarse Fishing 68,858

Is it any surprise that H&L show a lot of fishing?

Cheers
Neil

PS Did anybody see my anorak?

PS Did anybody see my anorak?

No but I tripped up on your bottle of TCP on my way in :wink:

My only reaction to your figures is where do all those yawn sticks come from ?

Bean

Back