63mm Dust Extractor???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodgeJob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading about dust extraction for so long now, it's starting to drive me a little crazy :shock:

I purchased the Axminster 63mm dust extraction kit, before I read about hvlp / lvlp - now i wish i'd stuck with the 100mm ducting, i just thought 63mm would be neater!

I'm planning on using the blast gates, for a router, a radial arm saw, a press drill, and then an overhead tube for my Roybi one+ tools, chop saw, sander, etc. single tools. I'm just a hobbyist, so nothing will be running for more then minutes at a time. I've got about 10m of 63mm ducting - but i will try and keep it as short as possible.

The choice of dust extractors is blowing my mind. I've decided a 0.5 micron is a must, and i just want a single extractor, not a cyclone, or a Thien baffle box.

I'm considering the following:

1. Record Power RSDE2 55LTR - 1000w motor - £299. I like the 55ltr capacity idea
  • Record Power DX4000 - 2x 1000w - £419.00. Is this the power i need for my 63mm setup?
  • Record Power DX5000 Fine Filter Twin Motor 200 Litre Extractor - £499. 200ltr capacity! I'd never have to change the bag!
  • Scheppach HA1000 1000w - £114.99. A great price, but could it handle a mutli-tool dust extraction system? And if it cant - does that mean the Record RSDE2 is also off the list?
  • Numatic NVD750 - 2x 1100w - £569.96 Very powerful - but only a 35lt capacity?

If anyone has a 63mm dust extraction setup - please let me know what you are using - and i'll probably just go with the same extractor. :lol:

I just want to get my extractor purchased and start working on my first woodworking project :D

Thanks so much guys! Looking forward to being a member of the forum!

I've got a 1000w Axminster (no longer made) with 100mm main channel with 63mm ducting to machines for my "hobby" workshop (8mx5m). That's bandsaw, saw table, router table, mitre saw and lathe. And a 100 litre bag.

If I were to change, I would stick with 100mm/63mm ducting but upgrade to 2000w for more power.

I have also installed a ceiling hung extractor similar to this : https://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-afs-100 ... tem-310481

Other are available, but when I switch it on I notice a big difference in the general atmosphere of my workshop.

Anyway, not a lot of science but it works for me.

Thanks Geoff,

From what I can see - the 1000w Axminster was a wall hung extractor with a bag - the closest match would be the Record Power DX5000 on my list, that would also be 2000w then.

I started with 62 mm pipework, connected to a SIP 50 litre metal dustbin type, sleeved down right at the motor.
It worked very well for 3 years.
Then the motor died (it had been running for a lot of hours, I didnt feel cheated, although theres a small possibility it died because the pipe work was too small) and in a fit of madness, I went to an axminster craft on a small metal mobile base. Again, all 62 mm pipe, but by now I had made my own cyclone out of a 3/4 sized traffic cone. This worked even better.

But still not collecting all the dust from the bandsaw, router table and mitre saw. I am at the moment upgrading it all to 100 mm ductwork, making my own 100 mm blast gates this week. My new 100 mm cyclone has been put on hold because the local factory making it has had to close, so I dont know when this system will be complete.
Meanwhile, I have 100 mm main ducting, tees and elbows (only 4 metres, I have just a single garage converted), sleeved down with home made wooden reducers at each terminal, still using the 62 mm gates and connection hoses.

But as you have already committed to the 62 mm piping, go with it. I would say its around 90% efficient on hobby sized machines (DOES NOT work well on planer thicknessers! :roll:) . Wear a mask, vacuum the workshop at the end of each day, and save up for the all singing all dancing 100 mm system

I bought the DX4000. I wish I'd bought the DX5000 as emptying the 4000 is a pain.

I ended up buying a 100m cyclone with a plastic bag under it from Axminster. It'd have been cheaper to get the DX5000 first time.

Hi Pete (or anyone with the dx4000)...

I’ve purchased the dx4000 - which is a 2x 1000w extractor.

I got to turn it on for the first time today - I turned on one switch on (1000w), and the 100mm pipe, leading to the 63mm pipe, which goes to a 32mm port on my mitre saw.

All the pipe sucked in - probably because of the smaller diameter.

I’m scared now to turn on the 2nd switch. The full 2000w power.

I’ve got a vision that the metal canister will crush in from the suction.

Can anyone reassure me they’ve used their extractor with both motors on - connected to a 32mm power tool extractor port???

Thanks so much.

I forget to open the blast gates and the power crushed the bag cage under my filter. These things suck like a beast!

Did you have a blockage somewhere?

BodgeJob":2yknm9np said:

I got to turn it on for the first time today - I turned on one switch on (1000w), and the 100mm pipe, leading to the 63mm pipe, which goes to a 32mm port on my mitre saw.

Can anyone reassure me they’ve used their extractor with both motors on - connected to a 32mm power tool extractor port???

Thanks so much.
I've used both on my very old dx4000 (it's blue it's that old), and the bin is fine.

Rember that no matter how many wattages you have at one end, if there isn't enough air to suck at the other then your dx won't do anything but strain.

So in our case with the 2 motors, I use 1 when doing things with a hose 50mm or smaller and only use both if I'm above 50mm.

Have a look at the thread in the jigs section about tablesaw zero clearance plates. A dude realised that only allowing a blade sized hole for air to get in just meant the dx couldn't suck enough air in and so it all collected under his saw. With holes in the plate to allow extra air flow more dust was collected as the dx can actually use more of its potential.

BodgeJob":1di5vyrk said:

Thanks so much.

I have a DX4000, you have to select the right type of hose. I bought a 38mm x 5m vacuum hose for a Numatic Cleaner. This is designed for high vacuum and doesn’t compress. I made the adaptor to connect to 100mm as the commercial offering is quite flimsy

When I first got the DX I was playing with the supplied 100mm flexible hose seeing how powerful it was, when I switched on the second motor the end sucked onto the floor and the vacuum shot across the floor like a rocket and whacked me it the head, ouch!

I’ve converted mine to remote control and put it in a sound cabinet and works well, the only time it fails is the P/T where it fills up very quickly.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/record-dx4000-silence-cabinet-t119280.html

I shall have a read of that thread as I'd like a box for mine too. I keep meaning to sort a proper numatic type hose out but really I need to sort my entire system out. Right now I have to disconnect each thing every time I want to use the next one as I've not found the time to hook it all up properly.

You spend more time changing hoses than cutting things!

DBT85":ldvf0je3 said:
I shall have a read of that thread as I'd like a box for mine too. I keep meaning to sort a proper numatic type hose out but really I need to sort my entire system out. Right now I have to disconnect each thing every time I want to use the next one as I've not found the time to hook it all up properly.

I need to do the same I have hoses laying everywhere....a trip waiting to happen!

RichardG":1eualwl6 said:
DBT85":1eualwl6 said:

I need to do the same I have hoses laying everywhere....a trip waiting to happen!
Yep it's not fun to work either as what should be a 5 minute job ends up being much much longer.

I like your solution to the dual switches by the way. I actually have my dx4000 on one of those remotes with one motor on by default and I just hit the other on if I need it which is rare at the moment. But I have spare switches so I'll add your solution to the ever growing project pile!

Back