63mm dust extraction kit from Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to set up a small dust extraction system in my workshop and have been looking at the 63mm dust extraction system from Axminster which sems reasonably priced. I would want to run this from my RECORD DX 4000 dust extractor. The system has blast gates as part of it and I am assuming these are air tight,as it were. Obviously it means reducing down from the 4" hose to the 63mm(2 1/2") pipes of the system, will this have any adverse effect on suction? Does anyone have this system and if so how do you get on with it and have you found the blast gates to be airtight? I am aware that I can use soil pipe etc but the idea of a kit with blast gates does appeal to me. Thanks

The 100mm(4") plastic blastgates are airtight.
I would want to run more of the system in soil pipe or 100mm as the 63mm will not give you enough airflow. I find with both the saw table & the router table you need to collect the dust from on top and below. The reduction to a single 63mm will be a problem. If you have a planner/thicknesser 63mm will not cope.
I start of with 150mm coming out of my extractor into a dust bucket the from the bucket I go down to 110mm soil pipe and I lose a lot of suction. ( don't have any meters to measure air flow)
With hindsight I should have run the main trunk as 150mm.
I have the following attached
Saw table
Router Table
Bandsaw
Mitre saw
Belt Sander
Hope this is of some help
Barry

Thanks for reply Barry. When you say reduction of suction, when a smaller pipe is attached to the larger extractor hose, is this actually the strength of that suction or the amount of waste it can physically cope with?
Somehow I would have imagined that actual suction would increase through a smaller bore but maybe it doesn't work that way.
My machinery is fairly small scale, Kity bench saw and thick/planer, Record disc/belt sander and Record 300 bandsaw( actual items that would run of that extraction system.) Do you think the waste produced from the Kity thick/planer if average cuts were made would probably clog pipes.
I suppose my main concern would be that original suction from a pretty efficient extractor would be cut noticeably via 63mm. Regards Jim

The volume of air removed will stay the same, the velocity will increase as the size reduces but so will the risk of blockages.

Fine dust and small chips will suit a higher velocity but a planer thicknesser is better with a bigger pipe especially if you are going to plane maple. I use 4" on my P/T, 2" for table saw & bandsaw and 1 1/2" for hand tools/router table.

Jason

Jim
The problem is that our pipe design is not good for extraction with all the bend /joints etc and the smaller the pipes the more the problems there are. Your equipment is similar to mine with the exception on the thicknesser which I don't think the 63mm will cope.
You will have to avoid all tight radius bends and no T pieces (use Y pieces).
I have run 4" to all my machines and use the blastgates to change the flow rate.
I started out with one vacuum cleaner and built a mini cyclone to collect the dust using 40mm pipe - very soon I had 2 vacuums and 2 cyclones on castors and was about the buy/build the third and decided it was time to use 110mm pipes and start to build a big cyclone ( work in progress) - using a dust extractor while I complete the cyclone. I have clear tubing from the machine to the blastgate and you will be surprised how much gets caught even in 4" pipe especially when using plywood.
Just looked at the Axminster catalogue - major problem is that there are only T pieces
The main man on dust is Bill Pentz - his site has all the info

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

The Record DX 4000 is a HPLV jobbie, isn't it? Should manage the 63mm kit okay then. The T-junctions are a bit of a PITA, but it does all work. I have my Axminster WV1000 hooked up to the SCMS, bandsaw and a power tool hose using it and it all works. 'Course neither the SCMS or the bandsaw are exactly an exact science when it comes to dust extraction anyway, and it could be improved, but I don't think the 63mm ducting is to blame. Plane shavings is a total no-no though - blocked things up in a flash - so I wouldn't advise it for a P/T. Mind you I never got as successful extraction from the P/T with the WV1000 anyway and now have a dedicated HVLP unit for it.

Cheers, Alf

Wondering if she's got those acronyms right... :-k

Alf":2ngehj1e said:
The Record DX 4000 is a HPLV jobbie, isn't it?

Is it? I have one but I've never actually thought about it (apart from cursing the noise it makes!). It works fine on my P/T and table saw

Latest posts

Back