63mm Blast Gates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone recommend 63mm blast gates? looking for 7 in total so don't want to spend a fortune but would appreciate decent quality.
Don't have to be metal providing they are decent quality plastic/PVC.
Rockler have been metioned but they are difficult to find in the UK.

Anyone recommend 63mm blast gates? looking for 7 in total so don't want to spend a fortune but would appreciate decent quality.

If you don't make your own try and use the "pass through/clog free" type, otherwise you'll be scraping hardened sawdust with a broken hacksaw blade.....

If you don't make your own try and use the "pass through/clog free" type, otherwise you'll be scraping hardened sawdust with a broken hacksaw blade.....
+1 for that. Been there, got the t-shirt.

I’ve made some 3D printed pass-through ones that work, but could use some more refinement. Happy to share the design.

+1 for that. Been there, got the t-shirt.

I’ve made some 3D printed pass-through ones that work, but could use some more refinement. Happy to share the design.
I'd have thought 3d printed ones might just be a little rough due to the layers.

Though last night I was giving consideration to 3d printing 300mm + impellers 😂

I'd have thought 3d printed ones might just be a little rough due to the layers.

Though last night I was giving consideration to 3d printing 300mm + impellers 😂
They are printed in 4 pieces: two identical cheeks, each with a 63mm diam spout, and 2 spacers. The assembly is held together by 4 M4 screws and nuts. I made the slide from 3mm acrylic, with a 62mm hole cut with a holesaw. Printed on ‘fine’ (layer height ~0.2mm), the surfaces are pretty good - certainly good enough.

I assume AUK is as independent from WWW as ujk is from Axminster?

AUKTools is our own Wood Workers Workshop brand, it originally started when I developed our fixed based router in conjunction with a like minded Australian woodworker, hence the name Australian-United Kingdom Tools. The range has now grown to include imported tools and more recently our British made router table tops, I am developing more UK produced products adding to our line up.

Cheers

Peter

They are printed in 4 pieces: two identical cheeks, each with a 63mm diam spout, and 2 spacers. The assembly is held together by 4 M4 screws and nuts. I made the slide from 3mm acrylic, with a 62mm hole cut with a holesaw. Printed on ‘fine’ (layer height ~0.2mm), the surfaces are pretty good - certainly good enough.
Ahh ok. CAn I ask why you favoured the printer rather than making some from some bits of MDF or something? My printer gets plenty of use so I know the feeling of a satisfying print that just does exactly what you asked of it.

AUKTools is our own Wood Workers Workshop brand, it originally started when I developed our fixed based router in conjunction with a like minded Australian woodworker, hence the name Australian-United Kingdom Tools. The range has now grown to include imported tools and more recently our British made router table tops, I am developing more UK produced products adding to our line up.

Cheers

Peter
Peter, thanks for your reply. I figured it was but honestly I've not seen it mentioned on your site. I didn't even know what AUK stood for. As someone likely to be purchasing a router/lift/plate in the next 12 months I'm actually more likely to buy one of yours now that I know its your product and something you want to see succeed. Maybe I've just missed the details on your website.

You win over UJK (even if not competing) for just one simple reason. Your name isn't ass backwards and I'm never going to say UAK or something daft by mistake. UKJ on the other hand I get wrong constantly. See?

Last edited:
Ahh ok. CAn I ask why you favoured the printer rather than making some from some bits of MDF or something? My printer gets plenty of use so I know the feeling of a satisfying print that just does exactly what you asked of it.

3 reasons, really.
1. Because I could, and partly because I’m still learning about 3D printing.
2. Because I needed to make a few copies, so having done the drawings, they would just chunter away on the printer while I did other things
3. Because I wanted to make one or two with a threaded spout to attach a Henry style hose.

Not what you might call a rigorous options appraisal, but it’s a hobby for me.

3 reasons, really.
1. Because I could, and partly because I’m still learning about 3D printing.
2. Because I needed to make a few copies, so having done the drawings, they would just chunter away on the printer while I did other things
3. Because I wanted to make one or two with a threaded spout to attach a Henry style hose.

Not what you might call a rigorous options appraisal, but it’s a hobby for me.
Nice. I needed a new fan for my table saw motor a year ago so printed one for that.

Are the blast gates non clogging?
If not, which orientation should they be placed?
Also do you supply a wall mounting bracket for this 63mm Blast Gate?

Hi Big Al

Sorry we don't supply a mounting bracket for our 2 1/2" gate, from memory they don't have to be orientated in a particular direction, but if they do it would just be done when fitting within the dust extraction pipe. I fitted mine 4 or 5 years ago and they have never clogged, I think all the ones on the market are very similar in design.

Cheers

Peter

I tend to have the gate opening downwards , so push it up to close off the inlet. My theory is that debris tends to fall downwards so shouldn’t get into the slot. There is enough friction in my blast gates to hold the gate in place.

Time will tell if this theory works well, but so far, so good.

Hi Big Al.
I’ve used Charnwood components for my rigid pipe extraction system in a diy/woodwork workshop. £6.40 per blastgate, inline push fit and works well for me. 👌

Back