6" grinder - wire brushes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Having a surplus of grinders, I'm looking to buy a 6" wire brush for one. I'm wary of buying something silly cheap, but don't want to pay a fortune as it's only for light domestic use. I could do well without thousands of flying bristles - I have used one before and they can be treacherous. Any preferences? Any to avoid?

I fitted a chuck to a grinder and then put one of the wire brushes designed for a drill into it, they are cheap and easily swapped out. You can also use the chuck to hold all manner or different tools, very useful addition.

Is this for use with wood? If so you'll want to use a variable speed grinder you can turn down low. I can only attest to 125mm disks and anything approaching 5000rpm (3500 to 4000ish works well) will leave burn marks.

You may have other plans...

Can't recommend a supplier Phil as most of my wire wheels came on grinders. I can recommend getting a brass one though, I recently started using one and it leaves a very nice surface finish .

Spanish brand Jaz are superior quality but a little costly and not too easy to find in the UK. They seem to last very well.
When I sort out a suitable arbor, i'm going to use a spare 2hp motor / vfd for the same purpose. I have an 8" wheel from toolstation waiting. Cheap and cheerful.

I might get a brass one as well - I do use a bit of non ferrous metal. I have a doubled ended old Warco grinder (built like a brick outhouse) with white and grey wheels, a Creusen with a 40mm white wheel and a pink one, a Scheppach with a grey wheel and a linisher and another with a grey wheel and a wet wheel. I could probably find a home for one. :lol:

Without detracting from the original topic, does anyone know where to get polycarbide wheels for the bench grinder? You used to be able to get them as I've got a couple but I can't seem to find them anymore, there really isn't much better for removing rust without hurting the base steel, plus you don't have strands of steel being launched at you occasionally!

Don't know for sure that they have them, but have you tried ArcEurotrade Trevanion?

I've found them to be easy to deal with and "sensible" prices.

Usual disclaimers

Back