5minute epoxy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use Titebond 3. It's bullet proof and won't let go and will break the wood rather than the glue on but jointed pieces.

Finish? Chestnut Hard wax oil. Very hard wearing and food safe when dry

I assume that the photos are the finished bowl/dishes?
Yes those have been finished, I used Yandles diamond wax to finish them.

I avoid the fast drying epoxy glue’s, as did others at our sailing club. If you need to use epoxy I would recommend using a brand name, like West Systems, and others, and choose a slow drying activator/hardener. The little tubes of fast drying stuff tend to dry like lumps of hard and slightly brittle wax And do not give a very good bond.

I only use this, it's a very good product, does what it says on the tin.....

Attachments

• 1654326136910.png
    1654326136910.png
    603.5 KB · Views: 0
So I've cut up some boards from a condemned P.E bench ready to glue up to make some bowl blanks, I need to sand off the varnish first but would the 5minute epoxy I have from poundland be strong enough to withstand being turned? I'll take some pics of the boards tomorrow, they're a little cupped with some splits running through but the wood is beautiful once turned and finished
5 min epoxy has an open time of 5 minutes but a cure time 24 hours I glue all my waste blocks on with it. but I’ve had a few of them sitting on my shelf glued up for 6 months waiting to be tuned. I picked one up the other day and dropped it anc the waste block popped right off. Now the block was resin cured wood. Ie with cactus juice. So I might have not sanded the join good enough for a good bond. I’m a little Leary now!

Thanks guys,
@Shan that's a good point I hadn't considered the effects on being food safe, if I glue them into one long blank then I would turn it into a trophy type shape.

As for ventilation I always have the garage door fully open with a fan blowing towards the outside and a vacuum to catch the majority of dust when sanding.
Epoxy is food safe when cured, so is lacquer.

Back