5ft Clydesdales and Cart Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I mentioned in another post I have started to do a bit more of this project, I originally started it in December 2017 after Ruth finally got me to do it......sadly 1 month later Ruth died and i covered the project up with a tarp but I have decided to get it done and will do some as and when i can fit it in.
Why this project? well the guy and the horses lives about 2 miles from me and i see them almost every day driving past and always impressive to see so Ruth said "Why don't ya make one of those" I have made a few Clydesdales over the years but none this detailed and with a cart.. so i made my own pattern which has approx 2000+ tiny parts and basically any black line on the pattern is a cut line......most parts will have various spacers on the back to get more definition.
The Horses are Oak/Sycamore/Beech and Walnut......the cart is Oak/Beech and mdf which will be painted red to match the photos. The Millisle name plaques are hand painted and took me 4 weeks because i wanted them painted like the real thing so lots of hours drawing and painting and then scrapping them again until i got a close as possible....like the real thing they are painted onto metal that's glued to wood backing plate. All the harness etc will be a combination of wood/leather/metal chain etc......many parts of the cart will also be metal painted red as you can see in the photos. I am at the very early roughing out stage so ignore the shaping/finish etc as its just to get an idea of how it will fit together. The finished size will be almost 5ft wide and will have a 15mm thick plywood backing board and a total thickness of 50mm. I must be mad but its my tribute to Ruth and I have been asked to put it on display locally before it goes to the buyer.
I will keep adding to this post as and when i do some more and you will hopefully like the finished project. The guy who's sitting on the cart is coming to see it soon once there's a bit more done which will be great and bet he never thought he would be the subject of a wood carving/intarsia i say wood carving and Intarsia as many of the parts will be detailed carving so bit trickier than normal intarsia but i think the subject needs to have as much detail as possible.....things like the ribbons on the horses mane's will be carved and dyed yellow etc too.
Right hope that explains the project and here's some photos to get things re-started.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• clydesdales and cart pattern 5ft (Medium).jpg
    clydesdales and cart pattern 5ft (Medium).jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 484
  • clydesdaleshow (Small).jpg
    clydesdaleshow (Small).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 486
  • P1090887 (Medium).JPG
    P1090887 (Medium).JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 486
  • P1090888 (Medium).JPG
    P1090888 (Medium).JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 486
"Mill Izzly"... as we used to say when we were driving into it. A wee dormitory town on the east coast of Ulster? Or, do you have a district or family by same name near you Brian?

Now, as to the EIP (Epic in Progress)...

Oh.
My.
Deity....

That really puts me in awe -again - of your prowess AND PATIENCE. I found myself blowing up the photos and cruising the details several times. I especially liked the wee horse head and other background references scattered about - to help create depth and texture?

Rock on, Brian. Respect.

Sam

+1 to Sammy's comment. Yeah "Respect" for your patience in spades mate. Lovely tribute to Ruth and I BET you end up having to make a 2nd one when the bloke down the road who drives the real thing see it!

SammyQ":hy87o5xy said:
"Mill Izzly"... as we used to say when we were driving into it. A wee dormitory town on the east coast of Ulster? Or, do you have a district or family by same name near you Brian?

Now, as to the EIP (Epic in Progress)...

Oh.
My.
Deity....

That really puts me in awe -again - of your prowess AND PATIENCE. I found myself blowing up the photos and cruising the details several times. I especially liked the wee horse head and other background references scattered about - to help create depth and texture?

Rock on, Brian. Respect.

Sam

Cheers Sam :D Millisle is the name of the farm where the Clydesdales are the guy is one of the top carriage drivers and breeders hence reason he has VERY posh stables etc sometimes he uses 6 horses at a time and as they drive past you the ground shakes lol but they are very soft friendly horses. That horse head you spotted is a resin one i made a few years ago for reference on a larger carved oak one that ended up on a Oak Staircase in a house in Kirkby Stephen. Aye there's allsorts of clutter on the photos but hopefully i gives you an idea of the project.....the size of the Horses is close to the Kathy Wise Clydesdale and Foal Intarsia pattern. I am now on the lookout for some decent chain with 5mm links also I will be dyeing the Oak with Chestnut dye and also bleaching the light Sycamore/Beech before its finally glued together which won't be for quite a while.
Glad ya like it and Andy........I won't be doing another of them even though i would love one as i have the other big stuff waiting to be done :lol:
Cheers
Brian

Grandsd Simpson was a smith; I have distinct memories of the size and smell of Clydesdales being shod. Wonderful experience, etched into my childhood. Enjoy the beasties when you can Brian.

Sam

Glad to see you back in harness again Brian.
I was in awe of this piece when I first saw it and with this update it is an even more awesome piece of work.
I will take the pictures into the 'Shed' next week and give my class an idea of what to aspire to in later cuttings if that is OK. ??

take care
Don W

donwatson":2irt9c9v said:
Glad to see you back in harness again Brian.
I was in awe of this piece when I first saw it and with this update it is an even more awesome piece of work.
I will take the pictures into the 'Shed' next week and give my class an idea of what to aspire to in later cuttings if that is OK. ??

take care
Don W

Cheers Don and you can use the photos anytime, don't tell them i started it in 2017 lol It will be finished this year :lol: with these type of projects i find they drag on for ages and then suddenly your almost finished its just a case of sitting down and planning my next move on it......and sometimes the planning takes longer than the project but seems to work ok for me.
Cheers
Brian

hi Brian this is will be an awesome project when It is finished, I did not realize just how much detail you are putting into it, I was going to ask to buy a pattern but not on your nelly now I will stick with what I know what I can complete, this in my case would probably end up in the bin,and me in a dark room muttering like Golum.

take care
John

Cheers John, aye its a fiddly one but i will get there in the end, I can't sell the pattern anyway as its a one off for the guy on the cart lol I was talking to him yesterday and he's getting ready for the big summer shows so will get to see them with all their posh gear on.
Cheers
Brian

Very very impressive. I don’t think I would part with it after all the time and hard work that you will have put into it.

How many hours work do you think you will have put into the project when it’s finished..
Will it be sold locally so that you can still see it occasionally as it’s a reminder of Ruth for you.

She will be pleased your working on it again. Good luck with it.
Andy

Haven't a clue how many hours as i didn't do any of it last year so more like months or years lol. It will be going to the guy on the cart who's about 2 miles from me and has massive stable block in solid teak plus buildings for the harness and carts etc and i can go anytime to see it.....if Ruth was still here it would be staying here. I'm doing a Belted Galloway Bull at the moment complete with ring in his nose lol......I do a bit more on the big one while waiting for glueing up etc. I am also designing a large one for a local church but very early days but my theory is once its in place in the Church it will be there for decades so it will prove i once existed lol.

Back