4wd help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I don't know if there is any motor mechanics on here but I will ask anyway.

Today driving in 4wd and there was a ticking noise coming from front of motor that got louder until it was a clunk and I had to pull over then pulling away again it just didn't feel right.I drove a further mile up the road and had to pull over again got out but couldn't see anything wrong.
The noise seemed to be coming from front passenger side wheel,I put it into 2 WD and it ran smooth again what does this sound like is wrong ?

Windup or an automatic locking front hub playing up, had that on my old diahatsu.

Hi it's a Mitsubishi L200 Warrior on a 07 plate only about 35k on clock genuine millage as I've had this from new and has only rarely been used in 4wd.

Sorry meant to say the difference lock was not on.I just know this is going to sting me .

It is going into dealers tomorrow for new tyres I've asked them to take a look while it's there and let me know what they find before starting any work I will let you know what they say.

Thanks guys

you haven't just had it mot'd have you ?
the reason i ask is if the vehicle was in 4wd and they conducted a brake test on the rolling road there is always the risk of a broken drive shaft.
hope not - but not a big job anyway
cheers paul-c

In reality a CV joint is / should be designed to fail before a drive shaft. I've done two in my time. One was 100% my fault. I was off roading at a military site and figured I could go up a 60 degree incline with big ruts in it. It was fine when I was just making contact with front left and rear right but when I gave it some power the front right came down hard and it had a lot of power going through it which then suddenly stopped. Opps! Ah well all good fun.

hi disco stu
i have done 2 drive shafts one during an mot the other while offroading also - all good fun though.
cheers paul-c

Surely the MOT tester would be liable for damage if the vehicle was in 4wd when used on a brake tester.

n0legs":378qxn9s said:
Surely the MOT tester would be liable for damage if the vehicle was in 4wd when used on a brake tester.

I'm not sure I but this 4WD damage on a brake tester argument. What about all those cars, like mine, that have 4WD permanently engaged?

RogerS":ub7el4e2 said:
What about all those cars, like mine, that have 4WD permanently engaged?

Well there's no real need for any 4wd to go on the brake tester. My tester tells me all MOT stations should have Decelerometers so the brake test can be performed on a road test and this is what my guy does when my Impreza (permanent 4wd) has to be tested.
I've never heard of an MOT station being billed for damage when a car was on test, but I tell you I wouldn't be impressed if one of mine came back damaged or with a new fault/problem.

paul-c":306sdxsv said:
hi disco stu
i have done 2 drive shafts one during an mot the other while offroading also - all good fun though.
cheers paul-c
I think what he is saying is one failed the mot and the other one went while using it

Back