400-500 Bandsaw: Minimax or Scheppach ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am in the process of getting my first bandsaw. I have settled for as big as I can afford after reading quite a bit on the web. I also guided myself towards italian bandsaws which have excellent reputation. Eventually I came across the minimax S45N and after giving a call to the saw centre group the sales rep tried to steer me towards the new Scheppach BASA 5 instead.

I tried to find some info from happy or unhappy owners of a BASA 5 online but could not find anything so thought I'd ask on the forum if anyone has hands on experience with these machines. Note that I have read that Scheppach has its lower range made in the far east while its higher range is made in Germany so experience with other/smaller Scheppach bandsaws may not be relevant...I wish festool would make bandsaws that would simplify my task (although I could probably not afford it) :)

G

If you do go for the scheppach, they are in the process of a change over to new machines/ livery. So you may be able to get hold of an old colour cheaper. ;)

carlb40":2ihvq4l1 said:
If you do go for the scheppach, they are in the process of a change over to new machines/ livery. So you may be able to get hold of an old colour cheaper. ;)
Yes I think the BASA 5 is the new one. White and blue vs yellow and blue before and renamed from basato to basa

Thks Greg. Did see that post indeed. He got an old S45 and the new S45N has a redesigned footprint it seems which probably address the stability issue he mentions.

If it's any more help, Paul Hannaby has a Record 350 or 400, which he reviewed for WT Mag, Richard Findley hasan Axminster (4000 series, I think) and Peter Sefton uses Hammer kit.
They'll probably be able to give a view.
Greg

Back