40 mm 150 diameter grinding wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all....
Hoping somebody can advise me.....I have a Rutland 150mm bench grinder ( ok ok it was cheap but I needed one).....it’s also very similar to the RP one.
I am hoping I could put a 40mm white wheel on one side instead of 20 mm standard. I know the covers won’t fit but bit of tin knocked up maybe...
Wondering peoples views on this setup.
Thanks

Assuming that the guards are big enough or that you modify them ....
You need the flanges in place
You need the spindle nut screwed onto the shaft until the shaft just starts to come out the other side
Whatever space is left between the flanges is the maximum width of wheel that you can fit.
I would be surprised if you can squeeze a 40mm wheel on a spindle that was intended for a 20mm. You might get 25mm or 28mm if there is such a thing.

Based on the experience of fitting a 40mm CBN wheel on a nominally 40mm spindle. The boss of the wheel was wider than the 40 width of the outer edge, the more precise replacement flanges were thicker too, but all fitted with the nut fully threaded on and nothing to spare.
They seem to make grinders with a bit of extra length to the spindle but not 50% overlength

Thanks for reply....I would have to make up a cover tho...I’ve seen the recessed ones so that would be ok..
I did moot over getting a new grinder...8”... toss up between RP and Axminster...I could then use the rutty one for metal bits...or roughing out.
Seeing as I have just picked up a Sorby 447 system from someone...i thought it may be beneficial to have a bit bigger jobby.

Steve

Latest posts

Back