4 Months, Yes... 4 Months! Conservatory Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
You heard right, It's been nearly 4 months since I started this project:

conscab.jpg

Chris's kindess got me off to a good start.

I reallly can't tell you why it took so long. After Chris left back in July I jetted off on holiday for 2 weeks. I made up one carcass the day I got back and the other 3 carcassas the following week. After that I did a bit here and a bit there. I guess life got in the way a bit. But I have enjoyed building it and learned heaps.

conscab-f1.jpg

conscab-f2.jpg

Carcasses, shelves and doors are all 18mm MDF, top is birch ply and veneered beech mdf sandwiched together and trimmed with solid white beech. The middle doors were left off, i'd love to say this was a design change but it was more because I didn't allow for the thickness of the hinges! I am very proud of it. Infact i'd like to build it again! I'm sure if I was to do it again it'd take me just one weekend. I'm still scratching my head over why it took 4 months!

Feels a bit like an award ceromony, but I have to say thanks to some people:

Chris (Waterhead37): I can't thank you enough for getting me started on this project. Having you come and help me cut those first parts was such a boost. I honestly learned so much from you on that day and think if you had not been there I would not have had the enthusiasm to finish it. You even let me touch the festool! You're a top bloke and i'm forever in your debt! :D

Les Chicken: I couldn't have finished the cabinet without the Triton and your kind offer was much appreciated. It was great to meet you and see your workshop (and those lovely summer houses you built!). The Triton has helped making up the doors and rounding over the doors on the router station. It's given me a lot of confidence with woodworking and I feel next summer I might get at least 2 projects completed! :wink:

Also I have had heaps and heaps of good advice on this forum. You guys have answered all my basic questions without getting sarcastic or angry and I really apprecieate it. We have a great bunch of people who come here and the advice is always top notch.

Lastly thanks to Sugar, who put up with me ignoring her and shouting at her for dropping her toys infront of me whilst trying to attach doors with my hands and feet!

conscab-f3.jpg

"Now you've finished that thing can we play ball??"

:D

Is that a beer fridge i see in the middle ? I like it :D

fine wine i tell you FINE WINE! :wink: :lol:

WiZeR, s'good. :D Is it really that long? Seems like only yesterday. I reckon the Design Opportunity you embraced by not having the middle doors works well. Breaks up the front a bit, which is no bad thing (especially if you wish to avoid having to line up all the doors with each other, instead of just the two pairs! :)). Plus you can keep tabs on your ready-use beverages at a glance... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Nice one :D .......by the looks of things you got to grips with that HVLP spray gun of yours :D

Looks well.

Good choice of beer btw :wink:

Tom,
It really looks great, glad to be able to have helped a bit but it was your enthusiasm and persistence that made it. I agree with Alf - the middle section looks better as it is rather than with a matching door.

It looks very good. I'm presuming the 4 month timescale was a subliminal attempt to persuade TPTB that it wouldn't be a good idea to ask you to refurbish the kitchen? You might have failed.

;)

Gill

Now personally,I would have gone for a Guinness fridge.. :wink:

Otherwise,excellent job,very smart - hope you like it,as it is definitely something to be proud of.
And not having the fridge boxed in was the right thing to do (when a man needs beer,he doesn't have time to open two doors :lol: )

Andrew

Tom, very nice. Did you use Patina for the finish? If so how did it go? If not what did you use.

Andy

WiZeR,

Nicely done. :D

Could you have a word with Devon Woody, he is getting the rest of us into trouble doing things far too quickly. :roll: :wink:

WiZeR, top notch job!

Like the others, any mistake like the middle doors issue that truly enhance the project is a blessing--trust me, they're often detracting at least to the maker.

It's a great looking piece.

Hope you cracked open a bottle to celebrate.

Take care, Mike

Hi Wizer

Well done, it looks really good.

The only criticism I have is that you probably finished it too quickly. :wink: I just hope the LOML doesn't read this and expect such speed.

Cheers
Neil

thanks guys.

Nailer, I had some issues with the HVLP spraygun, I used it on the carcasses but wasn't too happy. I think it needs a lot of setting up and I was being a bit impatient with it. The doors were rollered (2 coats of mdf primer, 1 coat of dulux undercoat and 1 coat of white eggshell) and the finish is much better.

The Friidge is Stella Artois, there is a couple of Kronenburg 1664 in there but Stella is my main tipple (as long as the french keep selling it to me so cheap).

dedee, Yes used the Patina and i like it, will use it again. More importantly LOLM liked it!

JFC, IIRC the top was 1 sheet of 22mm Birch Ply with 9mm venered MDF epoxied to the top. Then solid beech trim rounded on the router table.

I think you're all right the design is better without the centre doors. I fiddled with the fridge door for a couple of days trying it to sit squarely, but it wasn't having it.

As a funny end to this tale, the missus announced this morning, after 3yrs of solid DIY jobs, that she has seen a house and she'd like us to MOVE! :shock: ](*,)

WiZeR":3nd9eqep said:
As a funny end to this tale, the missus announced this morning, after 3yrs of solid DIY jobs, that she has seen a house and she'd like us to MOVE! :shock: ](*,)

Well does it have a workshop or at least space for one?

Altogether now 'Always look on the bright.....' :wink:

yes it does... dont let her know tho! :wink:

If i remember from my shop fitting days you square a beer fridge/fine wine fridge up by adjusting the legs not the door . If you undo the nut at the top of the leg you can spin the leg up or down . I think :-k

yeh it is square, but the door is not square to the fridge. I bought it second hand and I think whoever had it before me basically lashed it up.

WIZer

Excellent piece of work I hope it is not fixed in too well to take it with you if you move. There again if the rest of the jobs around the house are that good it will be a good selling feature.

Many thanks for your kind words it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife especially watching sugar and lucky (our springer spaniel) chasing around the garden. Helen sends her regards and keep up the good work. :wink:

Les

Back