4.5 inch grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an older Hitachi grinder which has done enormous amounts of work for me over a long time.

The spanner used to change the discs has gone missing. Is there a standard or a particular size to get. I ask because my other grinders use a slightly smaller spanner so they do not fit. Thanks in advance.
Al

What I now know is that a scumbag working in the unit alongside mine took it. Will have words tomorrow.

I keep my grinders layed out in a box so I will the spanners in there also.

My spanner is tied onto the plug end of my cable, it never gets lost and I have to unplug it to use the spanner so I can't accidently turn it on and chop of my fingers, bonus!

Yes. The disc spanner has been attached to the plug end of the lead on mine for 35 years. The key on my drill is attached likewise (it's SDS but I do have a keyed chuck for it).

I'm not a hard core user at all. I use my grinders about 2-3 times a week only. I've bought 3 of the adjustable spanners as recommended by porker. I was not aware such a device existed.

Today popped into the unit I rent and talked to the mate next door about the toe rag who took my previous spanner...we will see if I can get it back...doubt it.

tried to twist the disc off my grinder yesterday, didn't budge it at all, I think I'll either stick to the spanner or eat more weetabix

I think any spanner will fit, just insert 1 pin and lever the other against the outside of the collar,,,I tend to just nip them by hand but we shouldn't according to my welding supplies chum, the disc suppliers say its the cause of shattered discs,,,I expect its quite spectacular if one did let rip!

Back