3R's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
The grandson picked up on the poor maths performance on the recent news, he asked me why are the 3 subjects called the 3R's, when only one begins with R. I was unable to give him a serious answer, who decided to call them 3 R's, no wonder the kids have problems.

newt":2lktpll0 said:
The grandson picked up on the poor maths performance on the recent news, he asked me why are the 3 subjects called the 3R's, when only one begins with R. I was unable to give him a serious answer, who decided to call them 3 R's, no wonder the kids have problems.
reedin, ritin, and rifmatic. Dint u reely knot no?

I'd be more worried about the simple rifmatic skills on here, or lack of them. Just look at the devious ways and daft gadgets invented for avoiding a really simple calculation of dovetail joint sizes and spacing. Very basic stuff :roll:
spacing-dovetails-t53060.html

Trouble is Jacob it's not easy to explain to an 8 year old who has a resonable grasp of the English language, unless you are from that part of the UK where you can not understand what is being spoken. :?

Pete - I found this on Google:

"It is widely believed that Sir William Curtis, an alderman who became Lord Mayor of London, once presented a toast to the three R's—reading, riting, and rithmetic—thereby betraying his illiteracy. In any event, the term was picked up by others and so used from the early 1800s on."

Rod

Harbo":k3dw1wqa said:

"It is widely believed that Sir William Curtis, an alderman who became Lord Mayor of London, once presented a toast to the three R's—reading, riting, and rithmetic—thereby betraying his illiteracy. In any event, the term was picked up by others and so used from the early 1800s on."

Rod

That's interesting, thanks Rod. I wonder how many children have been confused through the ages, and it still surprises me that the education system continues to promote it.

newt":avfyb4n7 said:
Harbo":avfyb4n7 said:

Rod

That's interesting, thanks Rod. I wonder how many children have been confused through the ages, and it still surprises me that the education system continues to promote it.
Pete - it's supposed to be a little joke! Or are you being subtly ironical?
Some people just have to have jokes explained to them. :roll:

Jacob":1kud21th said:
newt":1kud21th said:
Harbo":1kud21th said:

Rod

Pete - it's supposed to be a little joke! Or are you being subtly ironical?
Some people just have to have jokes explained to them. :roll:
Jacob there is nothing subtle about continuing to with the 3R's, joking or not it is just plain stupid, grandson a bit confused and has said why a few times. I guess we/I should not get to hung up on such a trivial issue given what is happening at the moment.

newt":1vw7wsja said:
I should not get to hung up on such a trivial issue given what is happening at the moment.
It's the 4R's Pete...reading, 'rifmatic, 'riting and rioting. Not much of a jest :( How you keeping? - Rob

woodbloke":rfjla3nf said:
newt":rfjla3nf said:
I should not get to hung up on such a trivial issue given what is happening at the moment.
It's the 4R's Pete...reading, 'rifmatic, 'riting and rioting. Not much of a jest :( How you keeping? - Rob
May find out a bit more tomorrow

Back