3phase to single phase??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_87

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've found a local meddings pancera rather cheap. The seller has said it could do with a service but I'm sure I could handle that.
The issue I have is it was originally a 3phase machine that a friend of the seller adapted the wiring to make it run from a 3pin plug.
My understanding was a VFD or some kind of converter would be required but the only thing the seller knows is that the wiring has been adapted.
Does anyone know if this is possible or should I stay clear?

Thanks,
Dave.

Hi all,

I've found a local meddings pancera rather cheap. The seller has said it could do with a service but I'm sure I could handle that.
The issue I have is it was originally a 3phase machine that a friend of the seller adapted the wiring to make it run from a 3pin plug.
My understanding was a VFD or some kind of converter would be required but the only thing the seller knows is that the wiring has been adapted.
Does anyone know if this is possible or should I stay clear?

Thanks,
Dave.

It's possible via a number of routes, all require adding a capacitor of some kind, but the details vary wildly with motor design... the most drastic modification would be making new connections inside the motor's winding, whilst the least drastic is changing a couple of wires over in the motor's terminal block.

If on inspection it starts and runs as it should, then I'd probably buy it.

Funnily enough when I bought my Meddings it had a three phase motor with a 3 pin plug on it though I never plugged it in to try it as an electrical mate said I’d be better running it through a VFD, so that’s the way I went.
This is my set up.

085EF071-C300-4EC4-8DC3-5F7DDCABDA2C.jpeg

I went with a VFD with station as originally the drill had no electrical switches on it, this gave me on/off switches as well as speed control plus jog & forward & reverse toggle switches.

What I would say if you go down the VFD route to maximise torque when using big drill bits rather than slow the drill with the speed control on the station run the motor at full speed & slow the drill speed by changing the belt setting.

They really are super drills, very easy to work on & well worth the effort.

You can get three phase motors to run on single phase through the use of a capacitor that creates a false phase. You loose lots of power but it’s quick, cheap and dirty. Beyond that you are into an VFD or a new motor.

A few photos of the unit and expect folks on here could help you know what’s been done to it.

Fitz.

Have attached a few pics from the seller.
Only external shots, will try to view it and have a look myself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201122-172126.png
    Screenshot_20201122-172126.png
    848.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20201122-172151.png
    Screenshot_20201122-172151.png
    709.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20201122-172217.png
    Screenshot_20201122-172217.png
    680.4 KB · Views: 15
Another option would be to replace the 3 phase with a single phase motor. It might entail a bit of metal work but it's a way around being able to use more industrial grade machinery in the home shop. I did up a startrite pillar drill and swapped it over to a single phase motor just because I wanted the flexibility of being able to position it away from my 3 phase sockets. Granted on machines needing more power VFD's are probably a better option but on a pillar drill that's not a problem.

Back