3ph 3hp- VFD or new motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I've finally found an AGS10 in my own tight budget and im picking it up tomorrow, canne wait! :D Its very clean and looked after, newer model fence, its lovely but one downsize it is 3ph. They had a breaking module added during lockdown which is maybe worth mentioning but i may take it out and sell it either way as ill buy a new motor that stops in time or programme the vfd to stop in time.
I am not sure yet it can even be wired star/delta but assuming best case scenario Im wondering what peoples thoughts are when it comes to VFD vs new motor when it gets to the 3hp+ sizes as iirc ill be looking to buy a 3.75-4hp vfd to be safe and it looks like the price starts to ramp up around there.

I may be able to pick up a new 2hp 1ph Brooks Crompton motor on the route to get the saw for £50-60 which is one option and the other, if dual phase, is a chinese vfd as cheap as i can find.

Thoughts? Thank you

I’m sure some are happy with a. 2hp motor in a saw like that, but with 3hp will get the most from the machine, I think.

Where would you mount the VFD, might suggest the answer.
If you intend to make a mobile base for the saw, then you could mount it to that, or indeed the cabinet of the machine.

If the VFD enclosure would be mounted to the wall, then you might have less options to move the saw.
Not saying that you couldn't do it without mounting the enclosure, but it might take some thinking in regards to safety.

If you're looking for the cheap VFD's, then make sure that there is dimensions of the drive listed, as a few of those sellers are chancers selling palm of your hand sized wee drives, rather than a larger drive what you might be expecting to arrive.
Can't see how those wee teeny things could work.

Tom

If i go the VFD route I imagine i will mount it inside the body in an ip6# box with external power switches mounted in a spare MEM startett switch box i have.
I will definitely have it on wheels as i'm really pushing my luck with space now, its getting a little ridiculous to be honest..imagine a union grad, work bench, 2 pillar drills, 352 bandsaw, 2 ags10's (ones a router table), surface planer, triton thicknesser, chip extraction, mitre saw, 2x72 and bobbin sander and the rest in a 8x10ft space with no shelves or cabinets😂 ..
In defence of the small vfds, the lathe came with a palm sized one and its actually really decent; though its invertek and not a cheapo chinese one

Best solution is to get a 4Hp 3Kw single phase motor, give it some power as 2Hp is only 1.5Kw and even many DIY saws are 3hp or 2.2Kw. An industrial saw with power will cut effortlesly unlike DIY saws like mine with only a 3Hp motor.

My old 2.2kw 12” saw cut very nicely, effortlessly ripping long pieces of hardwood. I think it’s enough for most people in a 8’x10’ space... however, I’ve got a 3kw now...

My Wadkin has the original 3ph 2.2 kW motor and works a treat, even on thick wood. I have a single phase to 415V convertor from Direct Drives - expensive but has worked well and their support is good.

Mine is an old 3ph ags 10 converted to 1ph. The motor is a 2hp 1.5kw job. Ripped 70mm deep in old oak no probs, blade is getting a little dull as well. I cannot fit a 12” blade on mine as the old style riving knife guide is in the way.
30C7BEF3-ABDE-4CC0-8523-EDA49D73E507.jpeg
055BA6D4-F636-4556-904F-A131318D3793.jpeg

3hp motor on my metal lathe works very nicely on a Huan Yang vfd. Rated for up to 4.5 and was £140 odd from e bay, also has remote option for the control panel. I have several of these on different machines and none has ever missed a beat. All the usual options for control, ramp up and down e stop etc. Not all Chinese stuff is rubbish.

3hp motor on my metal lathe works very nicely on a Huan Yang vfd. Rated for up to 4.5 and was £140 odd from e bay, also has remote option for the control panel. I have several of these on different machines and none has ever missed a beat. All the usual options for control, ramp up and down e stop etc. Not all Chinese stuff is rubbish.

How do you find the instructions for these?

Same here. The ramp up and down is something I really value on a big table saw and 12" planer.

To answer LJM's question; the manuals aren't bad. Rather lacking in the electrical wiring guidance but all the VFD settings are listed and, at least for the ones I've played with, reasonably easy to get your head around.

Thank you for all the replies! The reason for saying a 2hp motor was my being able to pick up new old stock motor for much cheaper than they still retail but currently wont be until i get paid now and by then ill be paying postage so taking all on board ill probably get an inverter if the motor will wire correctly for one. Im picking it up tonight so ill find out then and you can all expect another AGS10 thread (y)

If you go the inverter route then don't go cheap, buy branded like Abb, Siemens or Mitsi / hitachi. Also the invertor needs to be able to supply about 1.7 times what the motor requires, read attached.

Attachments

• Hitachi Sizing Single Phase VFD.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 7
How do you find the instructions for these?
Chinglish instructions are a bit weird in places. A couple of things I had to try out to be sure what they did, but generally not to difficult to work it out. I made my own switch to replace the original rather clanky one on the machine. Have forward reverse stop and e stop through the main control inputs. Modified the original coolant pump switch to be two position and use that to select high and low motor speeds using the vfd pre set speeds menu. Don't use the variable speed as my machine has an eight speed gearbox, so with the two speed motor I have sixteen to play with. I have used a separate vfd For the coolant pump so it can be controlled via a pot to vary the speed. Both vfd mounted on an aluminium plate on the back of the machine. The little one for the pump is a Vie Kong, bought second hand for £20. Neither has caused me any problems at all

lIMG_20200722_082548.jpgIMG_20200722_082648.jpgIMG_20200624_135015.jpg

Back