• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

3mm solid wood anwhere?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got the Dave Springett book and want to have a go at lattice turning.

Anybody know a source for solid wood blanks 75mm diameter 3mm thickness ?

My bandsaw is not accurate enough and I don't have planar thicknesser or a belt sander, so making thin blanks of sufficiently uniform thickness isn't really on.

Sportique

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Shay,

if you are unable to source the blanks you need, then you could produce them using a router on skis - there are a number of articles on the forum suggesting ways to do this.

For small amounts you could also try the Hobby suppliers - but this is not economical.

HTH Dave

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Shay,you are only an hour from me, if you wanted to bring some timber up to my workshop I could soon put it through the planer or panel sander for you.

f you havn't got the wood I'm sure we could find some pieces in my offcuts

Rog

chipmunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Shay,
Any reason why you can't rough them over-thick on your bandsaw and then refine them & finish them on the lathe?

Hot melt as a weld would be a good way to hold them onto a pre-flattened block held in your chuck and then you can make them as thin as you like - first flattening one face and then the other.

Use a square nosed scraper with a straight edge to check you're straight across the face and then abrasive wrapped around a rectangular block to get a perfectly flat & true finish.

Tip: Residual hot melt can be removed with cellulose thinners.

HTH
Jon

thomvic

Established Member
Reaction score
How about turning a 75mm cylinder and use a thin parting tool or old hack-sawblade to cut off your 3mm discs?

Richard

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps

Many thanks for the helpflul suggestions, esp Dodge (will think about that option after I've tried the others)

The Springett project uses 2 x 3mm laminated blanks , a 1.5mm wide cutting tool with a mark at 2mm for depth. For the grooves to intersect cleanly from both sides, the disk thickness will have to be spot on 6mm and the cuts equally precise.

I am not very good at facing off blanks with a true face. I have to make several passes and each time the disk is getting thinner, hence my worry about finishing up at the right depth.

Maybe I am over reacting, but the Sprigett Wizardry projects seem to need a degreee of precison and finesse which will take me a few levels above where I am now.

However, will try the abrasive wheeze and see how I get on

Thanks once again