3mm sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul hd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone got links to a supplier of 3mm wood sheet. I can get Birch ply no problem, but I would like Oak or Walnut or anything that is not ply and I can get a pattern measuring 8 x 8 inch.

Look forward to your suggestions.

All the best,
Paul.

I made a reply to you Brian and my post has some sort of error. Testing Testing

Thanks Brian for the links.
The first link the sheets are under 6 inches.

I tried to buy the European Oak boards a few weeks ago but they want more money for shipping than what the wood costs. I'm too tight for that :D

Regards
Paul.

aye its difficult to get hold of decent thin hardwoods, even though i don't do scrollwork there are times when i could do with some and end up slicing a piece of Oak as thin as i can on my bandsaw but thickest it will cut is 6" I will keep searching online to see i can find some.......what the least width you can use for your project?

Cheers

Sorry - just re-read your original post. Don't think the link I sent will be wide enough. I know a lot of people on here buy old furniture for the drawers, cupboard shelves, etc. That might be the best way to go.

Have a scout around the salerooms Paul, old cupboards and wardrobes often have backs and sides of thin solid panels. I can't remember getting 3mm but have had plenty 1/4" ( 6mm) oak panels from furniture picked up for peanuts.

Only issue is that sometimes they are stained quite deeply and need a bit of work to clean up.

Claymore":2xmaapp4 said:
aye its difficult to get hold of decent thin hardwoods, even though i don't do scrollwork there are times when i could do with some and end up slicing a piece of Oak as thin as i can on my bandsaw but thickest it will cut is 6" I will keep searching online to see i can find some.......what the least width you can use for your project?

Cheers
Hi Brian,
I suppose I could go to 7inch.
If I come across a retailer I will post up here.

Cheers,
Paul.

JimiJimi":3ndgt1jv said:
Sorry - just re-read your original post. Don't think the link I sent will be wide enough. I know a lot of people on here buy old furniture for the drawers, cupboard shelves, etc. That might be the best way to go.

Looks like the way to go. Gives me a good excuse to get a planer/thicknesser :wink:

Lons":26oms9sb said:
Have a scout around the salerooms Paul, old cupboards and wardrobes often have backs and sides of thin solid panels. I can't remember getting 3mm but have had plenty 1/4" ( 6mm) oak panels from furniture picked up for peanuts.

Only issue is that sometimes they are stained quite deeply and need a bit of work to clean up.

I suppose it would not take long to plane down from 6 to 3mm.
On a scroll saw pattern I find that stains can add a bit of character.
I actually like this idea of finding some old wood and putting it on the scroll saw.

Cheers,
Paul.

Your right about old furniture having solid wood drawer bottoms and some if ya lucky have the full back panel, as you know 99% of my wood is from recycled furniture and the other is from down in my woodland so Sycamore and Beech etc. Have you tried 3mm Corian? I have had some in the past and not the most common thickness they sell but worth looking out for on Ebay. Another thing i have done in the past is to cast resin blocks to cut on the scrollsaw and if you get the fast cast its so thin no air bubbles you can make some nice inlays this way and a cheap way of making a mould is to use a thin silicone rubber baking mat and make a frame using Lego bricks......stick the lego brick frame onto the mat using double sided tape and then fill with resin to whatever thickness you want.
Have fun and keep us posted if you find any.
Cheers
Brian

Hi Paul
I got some really good pieces of wood from eBay a supplier call windinghouse they do a variety of woods different thicknesses and sizes they are off its from a bespoke kitchen business but I have purchased about 10 pieces from them willow oak elm beech I normally want between 8 and 12 mm thick but I know they do thinner sometimes
All the bits I had were very good I also asked them for some pieces at a specific size (250 x 500x 8 mm) and they supplied them at a very reasonable price can’t recommend them enough really
Martyn

MJOriginals":921c6kry said:
Hi Paul
Sorry just remembered
Windinghouse66 is the suppliers name on eBay
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

That's great. I will check it out and send them a message.
I will report back.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hey Martyn,

Just looked at the ebay site. It is brilliant.
I think a combination of that site and a planer/thicknesser I will get what I want.

Cheers,
Paul.

Back