3grand budget off to Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

South

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got the funds through to purchase some machinery for building furniture. Off to acminster tommorrow to see there offerings. My idea of a grown ups sweetie shop,(just maybe not so grow up) any offerings of advice greatly received

I would personally have a gander round Axy, but then see what I can get off that well know auction site and get any big bits of machinery off there. You may want to buy new so that you have warranty and faith that nothing will go wrong with your kit, but I've bought 90% of my kit second hand and I've got a lot more bang for my buck than buying new and not had any issues in regards to stuff being knackered as yet. (touch wood) :).

Just my 2 pence worth, also probably worth sticking up a 'Wanted' ad on here to see what folk have got to offer. You can get stuff courier'd for about £45-£50. Google 'Brooks Transport' and give them a call.

Hope that's of some help to you. Cheers _Dan.

Starting off with a few carcasses and a few draws, generally outfitting my workspace with storage. Hope to progress to some finer furniture to replace some poor quality pieces in the house eg coffee table entertainment unit just to start . Hopefully more detailed work with progression.
Thanks for the advice bye the way. I value personal recommendation as this would be my first machines , table saw planer thicknesser etc
Regards south

South":1un1lprb said:
any offerings of advice greatly received

South":1un1lprb said:
I value personal recommendation as this would be my first machines , table saw planer thicknesser etc

Go to Axi and have a drool but leave your money and cards at home and have a proper think about what you need?

Don't get me wrong, I wish I had you budget to spend on shiny stuff, but I'd do plenty research first.

I been saving for a year and probably looked at most table saws on the net
Sip 10" and 12" although I'm sure the 12" is going to be slightly to big.
The schepach 2500 ci
Sedgwick Ta 315
M power
Scm combination machines and separates
Felder k3 although seems very expensive
Jet 600 and 250 supersaw
Followed a wild goose chase on the deft from lydhurst
And woodfords xcalibur 10" 806
Looked at the offerings from record

With the exception of axy I haven't actually managed to see any in the flesh just trooling through the net and various auction sites. Have spoken to lots of various people most of being sales advisors so fairly biased. A very helpful wadkin engineer has given some great advice .

The axy sip fox and anything on the similar price band all seem adequate but with fault. Have been burnt before so looking at new for piece of mind.
In all totally confused

I have four pieces of Axy machinery and it has served me well starting from 9 years ago and I am happy to go back and purchase or recommend .

With £3000 to spend I'd shop around. I've rarely found Axminster to be the cheapest for anything and has been said, you can get some excellent second hand buys

I've recently spent a fair amount at Axminster and the big advantage is that they don't do roadside drop-offs :evil: ...the delivery bloke's (just one) remit is to get your machinery into the 'shop. In my case, it was round the house, up three narrow steps and then up two more into the 'shop. The delivery of the Jet 260 p/t was causing me sleepless nights 8-[ but the driver had it (and a lot of other stuff) into my 'shop in less that 40mins and that was including the mandatory brew.
If you have a fair wedge to spend, pay a personal visit to Axminster and speak very nicely to the guys, there's a better than even chance that you'll get a discount on your machinery :wink: ...not guaranteed of course, but it's worth a punt :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":6bavrzt3 said:
I've recently spent a fair amount at Axminster and the big advantage is that they don't do roadside drop-offs :evil: ...the delivery bloke's (just one) remit is to get your machinery into the 'shop. In my case, it was round the house, up three narrow steps and then up two more into the 'shop. The delivery of the Jet 260 p/t was causing me sleepless nights 8-[ but the driver had it (and a lot of other stuff) into my 'shop in less that 40mins and that was including the mandatory brew.
If you have a fair wedge to spend, pay a personal visit to Axminster and speak very nicely to the guys, there's a better than even chance that you'll get a discount on your machinery :wink: ...not guaranteed of course, but it's worth a punt :wink: - Rob

Every time Axi have delivered big machines to me, they have got it to the outside door and told me its up to me from there?? Not impressed when it was up to me and my somewhat weak partner to get the the 150kg T/P over the threshold and then though another door. When the TS came I rang my mate to help (the ironic tiny) as that was 200kg+ I think. Still a great company though and always the first place I look.

The axi 10 and 12" are basically the SIP 10 and 12"

Hudson Carpentry":62wpsi5b said:
Every time Axi have delivered big machines to me, they have got it to the outside door and told me its up to me from there?

Clearly their policy has changed because I got my information personally from Ian Styles when we were nattering in the Board Room and my Jet 260 p/t kicked in on the scales at 175Kg - Rob

Thanks for the helpful messages . I went to axy and view and tinkered with some of there machines , got a quote for most of what i was looking for.
I have also got in contact with appleby whom I'm going to email later with part numbers to save me some money
Thanks for that tip.

Latest posts

Back