3D printing, where? Any suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two items I need printing, part of a featherboard, but have no idea if there are any small companies doing printing. Probably nylon type material.
Any suggestions?

Shapeways is a good option for the high quality stuff where accuracy and material matters, postage is a lot tho. If you dont mind it being a lower end material / rougher print lots of other suppliers - just google (3dhubs is one).

Featherboards are fine in PLA. I have loads Ive made from thingiverse files. PLA is printable by many people / operations and is cheap.

Dont overspec on the material unless it is really needed.

Featherboards are fine in PLA. I have loads Ive made from thingiverse files. PLA is printable by many people / operations and is cheap.

Dont overspec on the material unless it is really needed.
Do you have a recommended link? I'd like to print one out. Ta

Do you have a recommended link? I'd like to print one out. Ta
I know less than nothing about 3D printing. I had a look through the types of material available and nylon seemed both durable and flexible. It was only a suggestion. Here is an image of the finished item. I have to admit I bought the kit because it was actualy cheaper than buying just the two magswitches, but the fence/featherboard might be useful too.
PETG sounds good too but I simply don't have the experience.

Attachments

• featherborad1.PNG
    featherborad1.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Does it have to be nylon? The strongest filament I could print them in would be PETG if that's any use
PETG looks OK but having never had anything printed before I simply don't know. I've posted an image of the fence, it is printed as 2 pieces.
It's about 150mm high.

I was quoted about £250 in Italy in nylon, £90 from Germany but £30 postage o top. Maybe it's time to get a printer.

I second PETG as a cheaper and more accessible alternative. It will do the job fine.
I can supply the printed parts for you if you still need them or I'd be happy to recommend a few 3D printers to get you started (y)

I second PETG as a cheaper and more accessible alternative. It will do the job fine.
I can supply the printed parts for you if you still need them or I'd be happy to recommend a few 3D printers to get you started (y)
That's very kind of you. I have been tempted to buy A printer but to be honest I haven't had a need until now. I'm sure going forward that is likely to change. If I send you the files would you be prepared to have a look?
I was beginning to think I'd have to make them in timber.

That's very kind of you. I have been tempted to buy A printer but to be honest I haven't had a need until now. I'm sure going forward that is likely to change. If I send you the files would you be prepared to have a look?
I was beginning to think I'd have to make them in timber.
Of course that's no problem! I'm new to this site so not sure how's best to send the files over... but I'd be happy to take a look for you (y)

That's very nice of you (y)

I picked up a Prusa MK3S+ kit just before Christmas and I couldn't be happier with it. It's going to make an excellent addition for the workshop, although I wouldn't keep it in there.

A non profit outfit I once spoke to about 3D printing charged about £8 an hour for use of a professional 3D printing machine. That covered their costs only. Problem was that print times for a part of any real size at a higher density (most 3D printed parts are only 30 to say 60% solid) runs to several hours. No problem setting off an overnight run on your own machine but (say) 6 hours at £8 / hour = not competitive for any commodity part.

I haven't physically seen it yet but here is an image of the finished article. Looks excellent. And very reasonable price too.
IMG_7010.png

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I found it while searching for something else related to the Magswitches.

I wanted four of the MagJig 150 switches and discovered it was less expensive to buy two of the Magswitch Featherboard DIY Kits for €80 than to buy four of the MagJig 150 Switches for €57 each. The kit includes two MagJig 150 switches, four mounting screws, six roller bearings, two bearing shafts, two long bolts, and two knurled knobs.

I bought three of the feather board kits and sent one of them to an acquaintance so he could 3D print them in PLA with his Prusa MK3S printer.

Here are the major components.

Magswitch-8800946-2-L.jpg

Here is the assembled featherboard. One side has bearings for resawing and the other side has tapered feathers

Magswitch-8800946-1-XL.jpg

This works surprisingly well and does not budge on the cast iron table when the magnets are engaged. The only problem I have with it, which could easily be changed in the printing instructions, is the lack of locating pins and sockets for the two sections. When using the tall configuration, the two sections must be held in place for proper alignment while the knurled knobs are tightened. Having locating pins and matching sockets at the joint would make this nearly foolproof, excluding ingenious fools.

Latest posts

Back