3D Pantograph

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make the 3D Pantograph from Woodgears.ca (http://woodgears.ca/pantograph/)

I have picked up a used Trend T4E from Andycase to use as the router. Can anybody think of a reason not to use 3/4" MDF, rather than plywood for the ply bits? It would be much cheaper.

Any other advice from anybody else that's already built one?

Si.

MDF ain't nearly going to be as stiff as ply and won't hold the tolerance on the holes as well either, you might be able to use it for some of the parts ok though

Aidan

The trouble is, the only ply I have access to is b&q special, which has similar integrity to florists oasis.

Si.

I have built one...used B&Q ply, no problem with it
Did not build it on a base board, but clamp it to a piece of mdf when I use it.
Its not pretty but it works fine.
John

Attachments

• Pantograph.jpg
    Pantograph.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 174
Good to see that you're using a little Trend router also. Do you find freehand results are satisfactory? I was going to build a stencil tray like the one on the website, but might not bother if good results can be had by freehand following a paper template.

Si.

I print out the words required on the computer, 3 times the size needed and then set the pantograph for a 1/3 reduction.
The pics show examples of a rocking horse with "Ben" engraved on the saddle bags and a wedding album presentation box (before finish applied) where I used this system.
John

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 141
Here's my version...

53a77ae4.jpg

I modified the design a bit to suit the Trend T4.

0d66db92.jpg

dea94d72.jpg

Just got to find a suitable base for it and we'll try her out.

Si

Here's my first attempt at tracing a paper template with a simple flat bottomed bit.

bcb46538.jpg

Came out better than I expected. Can't wait to try 3D serif fonts with a groover bit.

Si

Latest posts

Back