3d modeling software to aid design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
This subject has probably been mentioned before and if so I apologize.

Does anyone use 3D modeling software such as Maya, 3DSMAX, Z brush (commercial software) or Blender (open source and FREE) to help them with design ideas.?
It seems to me that this would be a great way to try out concepts without wasting your precious stock of blanks. Also for things like inside out turning you can actually make a virtual first turning then cut it into however many segments you wish and rotate them to see what effects you can get. The other advantage is it is something you can do when its either too dark in the shed or too late to be making noise. As its free and a very comprehensive piece of software I would suggest BLENDER. http://WWW.blender.org for download.
Not only can you get a 3d representation of your object but you can also add photographic textures to them so they look like a real object not just a grey shape.
turnex.JPG

Just a quick example.Took about 5 minutes to create.

I know most of these programs require you to learn how to use them but then its a tool and you need to learn how to use any tool.
There are literally thousands of tutorial videos on the internet to help you learn and one in particular that I found great is at
http://www.youtube.com/user/cannedmushr ... ry=blender

I am not an expert on Blender but know enough to get by. I am happy to help with tips and tricks (if I don't know the answer I probably know where to look and find it).

A couple more examples after about 30 minutes tweaking
mug 2.JPG
mug1.JPG
so realistic you can still see the toolmarks

Attachments

• turnex.JPG
    turnex.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 941
  • mug 2.JPG
    mug 2.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 929
  • mug1.JPG
    mug1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 929
You're just the man I have been looking for.
Can Blender be used to model the components (in Sketchup terms) below and then manipulate the components in 3D.
To produce shapes such as 2nd from left on the top line on the book cover below

Brian

Attachments

• DSCF2379 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF2379 - Copy.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 922
  • DSCF2382 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF2382 - Copy.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 922
  • 51FNIjE0GpL__.jpg
    51FNIjE0GpL__.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 922
Finneyb

Yes its perfect for doing that sort of thing. take a look at this video and it will give you some idea of what is possible with a few clicks of the mouse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLdPSZuNac

You can create several separate objects and manipulate them in 3d space. then you can join.sculpt or segment them as you desire. Not only that but it can give you angles and measurements to help when creating the real item. These will be in blender units but then its simple to just say they are 1 blender unit = 1cm or 1".

Don't be put off by the bewildering user interface. By following some tutorials you will soon be able to create objects and manipulate them. The site i gave the link to has a full set of videos taking you from complete novice to fairly advanced modelling in 12 structured segments (admittedly they are for creating 3d content for games but the principals are the same)

Procell,

Thanks for that. Been working my way thro the tutorial - I'm getting there; well to make the components - some way off joining them together.

Needed two laptops one to run & stop the tutorial, the other to replicate the tutorial on my laptop. They landed on the moon with less computing power.

I may be back with questions

Brian

I know how you feel. I tend to watch a few steps then swap to blender and carry them out. I would suggest no more than 3 videos each day and repeat what you learned before starting a new day. It is a little time consuming but I found it fun to learn. As you can see its very comprehensive as far as capabilities though.

Interesting to see this mentioned here, I got into woodworking in order to get away from IT stuff! :)

I spent a year or two while my wife was critically ill, learning all sorts of 3d software, from the demos available and other sources. As my last career was an IT engineer and consultant, I had a good basis from which to start, and I learned a fair bit - I'd never have called myself anything near an expert, but I became an adept rookie at a few packages.

I tried Blender myself, in amongst others like maya, lightwave, Cinema 4d, Solidworks, 3D Studio Max and Rhino. The funny thing was that they all seemed to have things that they excelled at, with some things being fantastic in some packages, and in others being possible, but feeling a bit forced or more difficult to do.

By far the best package I ever used for modelling real world objects, both in intuitiveness and in capability was Solidworks, and it's widely known for that, since it's probably the most used in industry for prototyping and computer guided manufacture etc. It's not great for rendering or texturing, but great at making complex shaped objects to specific sizes.

The closest equivalent in the lower budget land of real life, is definitely Sketchup - it's missing some very significant things as it ships, but there's addons to give it the ability to handly splines (curves) and more organic shapes.

Blender is very capable in many ways, but the fact that you pretty much have to work from box modelling techniques, or jump thru loops to get measured dimensions and smooth curves, you may find sketchup far easier once you get the hang of it, especiallly if you check out the addons and plugins that are available.

One last thing, it's often, especially for us amatuers that don't need to know everything there is to know about 3d work, handy to make an object in one package and export it to one that you're familliar with for rendering, so that you can use the strengths of the packages taht you are familiar with, at least until you gain ability in one over another.

Sorry for the wall of text, IT matters bring the old consultant out in me.

Nic.

Thanks for the input Nic.

I have not yet tried sketchup but will do some research into it.

I may be tapping your brains sometime if i get stuck too.

Nic,

Tried Sketch-up, I had real problems with it as a beginner - couldn't get anywhere near where I got with Blender. Of course, Blender has not delivered what I want yet, but it looks hopeful.
I find the screen view a lot better with Blender.

Brian

Adam

I was not aware that Autodesk had released their software but will certainly check it out. Maya is a brilliant program from what I have seen so if I can get that and learn to use it then I will be a happy man.

Nic

I am fairly sure that there will be controls in blender to do almost anything you need. the problem is finding where they have hidden them and what combinations to use to get the effect you need.

Latest posts

Back