30mph!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speed is obviously a contributing factor to accidents - in the absence of any speed, there wouldn't be any accidents. Your argument supports a universal 0mph limit.

matt":370v3h66 said:
Calpol":370v3h66 said:
Only 5% of accidents are caused by breaking the speed limit compared to 32% for people not looking properly, which in my experience is usually the doddlers...

Cool. Stay within the speed limit and 5% fewer accidents. Implies that slower driving could equal even fewer accidents except, of course, there are those that would argue someone else's slower speed was the cause of their accident because they were "forced" to overtake. But then the act of overtaking is rooted in wanting to drive faster so back to speed being a cause of accidents.

Woah...what's wrong with wanting to drive at the speed limit (all things being equal)...ie to use your words.. 'to drive faster' ?

Jake":2tyaspth said:
Speed is obviously a contributing factor to accidents - in the absence of any speed, there wouldn't be any accidents. Your argument supports a universal 0mph limit.

Only if I argued that there should be zero accidents, which I didn't.

RogerS":5sj58s5x said:
matt":5sj58s5x said:
Calpol":5sj58s5x said:
Only 5% of accidents are caused by breaking the speed limit compared to 32% for people not looking properly, which in my experience is usually the doddlers...

Cool. Stay within the speed limit and 5% fewer accidents. Implies that slower driving could equal even fewer accidents except, of course, there are those that would argue someone else's slower speed was the cause of their accident because they were "forced" to overtake. But then the act of overtaking is rooted in wanting to drive faster so back to speed being a cause of accidents.

Woah...what's wrong with wanting to drive at the speed limit (all things being equal)...ie to use your words.. 'to drive faster' ?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to drive at the speed limit. We live in a society where to a greater of lesser degree we all offset what we want to do against the risks and impact on others. Regardless of the limit, the faster I drive the more risk to others if I'm not as smart as I think I am.

I think I will change my signature to:

'Age doesn't necessarily mean you are unsafe to drive, any more than youth necessarily means you aren't.' :lol:

John :wink:

By necessity I've been driving my '57 Landrover this week. I had to stop today before turning off the main road in order to engage low range. What happens - some f***ing twit behind me starts blasting their horn! Complete w***ker mentality. Driving an old and unfortunately slow vehicle like mine, I happen to witness these numpties with depressing regularity.

Those old and slow vehicles are as common as the Mole hills around here, along with tractors and every other form of farm machinery, we locals just learn to be patient. Those old and slow vehicles have been a God send these last couple of weeks.

Roy.

I think passing places more frequently would benefit everybody, aside from motorways and duals there isn't any on my 52 mile journey to work... I've only got 80bhp so an overtake needs some forward planning :lol:

needs some forward planning
An art that the local instructors seem not to pass on around here. You see drivers tailgating a tractor so that when they do attempt to overtake they end up creeping past, which with our narrow roads is not always a safe thing to do.
Another thing in that vein is the number of people who pull into lay-bys and stop near the far end, so they also end up creeping out into the road.

Roy.

Back