30mm square through mortice up to 250mm deep. How?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Hellman

Established Member
Reaction score
30mm square through mortice up to 250mm deep. How? This is going to be through a large stick, well tree trunk. I will need to cut 4 of them. The tenons going in them will need to be easily removed, I actually need a slight slack in the fit.
I am quite happy to use hand tools. Does anyone know any trick or tips so I do not spend hours with mallet and chisel.

Yes, a big drill or even an old hand auger.

Do the tenons have to stay square? It might be much easier to make the tenons round than it would be to make the mortices square.

If you want them removable, just leave the tenons overlong so you can bash them out a bit from the far side.

I think a 30mm round tenon sounds quite beefy - what are you making?

These modern augers are great, RogerP, either in a brace or power drill.
The holes and tenons have to be square, I have been asked to make a wing chun dummy, for a client

Hi Sean, is this a special project, i mean a particular wood or size or is it that making is cheaper than buying?
I'm not trying to teach egg-sucking but have you got a plan for one with the specific dimensions, angles, etc?
Are you planning to begin from square stock, it might be easier to mortice at this point rather than its when its in the round.
chris

Back