305mm blade in dewalt radial arm saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bren jules

Reaction score
Hi,

has anyone used a 305mm blade in a dewalt radial arm saw, i have a 8101 with a 300mm blade in it, but wanted to use a 2.1mm thin kerf dewalt 305mm blade, wondered if anyone has any experience in using a larger blade, its only 5mm but want to be sure before purchasing.

thanks

jules

Dewalt should have a reliable customer service, so why not try there first?

Use your eyes, have a look and see if an extra 2.5mm on the radius is going to foul anywhere on the machine. I really doubt It's going to make much difference considering how much clearance is usually in these guards.

Why thin kerf? I don't really see the point in using one in a radial arm saw.

Because I am using it to cut kerf joints for bending timber, thinner kerf blade gives a smoother curve

Bren jules":bnwvpq4m said:
Because I am using it to cut kerf joints for bending timber, thinner kerf blade gives a smoother curve

I do a lot of curved bullnose and d-end risers for staircases this way, the trick is even spacing between the cuts, not a thinner blade. If anything a thinner blade would make the kerfs bind even more.

That's not my experience I previously used a mafell track saw with 1.8 mm blade and although more cuts are required the curve is smoother however using a 2.8mm blade on cross cut the curve is more segmented and prone to cracking, hence why looking at the new 305mm thin kerf dewalt blades

There will be barely any difference between 2.8mm and 2.1mm, trust me. All you need to do is make a cut on the RAS that leaves somewhere between 0.5mm to 1mm of material left behind depending on how solid the material is, shift the piece over so that a blade width of material is left behind between the next cut, mark where the previous cut is on the fence and just keep lining up your cuts with that line you marked on the fence until you’ve done all of your kerfs.

Consistency is key to having a perfect curve.

Back