300mm disc sander safety advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought one of these
http://www.recordpower-thetoolshop.com/ ... ander.html

I was hoping to use it to sand end grain on pieces of wood up to around 400mm wide.
The insructions advise against removing the guard because the workpiece can snatch on the right hand end of the disc as it is effectively moving upwards. How likely is this?
Note, There is a very natty sliding fence fitted which as far as I can see is useless with the guard fitted

I notice the smaller versions say 200mm dont have this guard fitted.
If I rig an adjustable fence (eg 30mm steel box section bolted through the table) above the timber am I safe?

Your opinions gratefully recieved.

Chunko'.

The guard does stop you getting the most out of the sander but, it also stops the work being snatched upwards + it usually forms part of the dust extraction.
I have removed mine and found it beneficial but, you must be very careful if you do so. Be aware that using the wrong half of the disc in the wrong situation will result in lifting of the work and it happens very quickly.
I'd say only to do it at your own risk and only if you are confident you'll remember not to use the wrong half of the disc for the wrong task.

I've also removed the guard on my Hegner sander and it's stored elsewhere - purely because, as you have discovered, it gets in the way, even when you're using the correct side of the disc! :roll:

I'm not sure whether it really plays much part in aiding dust extraction, as the anti-clockwise rotation of the disc should take most of the dust below the table, anyway. If it's going to come back up the other side, I don't think the guard would do an awful lot to contain it.

As already said; you should be fine, provided that you only work on the side of the disc where it's rotating down below the table. Otherwise, you'll get a face full of dust and you may also get hurt...!

I'm not sure how safe it would be to use the full width of the disc, as the up-rising half is still going to want to fling the wood up in to your face. :p

Had a fiddle with it today.
Taking the guard off made it easier to use, gave more space without using the whole disc width, and the mitre thingy can be used.
I think it is treat it great respect, I may make a guard when I come to do the job in question, or perhaps sand the piece one end at a time.

Definitely a tool be aware of loose clothing around, the thought of a sleeve getting tangled up would not be fun.

A nice piece of kit, I paid £140 including shipping and VAT, so cheaper than the cheapo copies, and so well made.
Chunko'.

OPJ":2tg23l5o said:
I'm not sure how safe it would be to use the full width of the disc, as the up-rising half is still going to want to fling the wood up in to your face. :p

On mine using the full width seems to be OK so long as you start on the downside of the disc. I presume the two forces sort of cancel each other out?

studders":2z8y7ax0 said:
OPJ":2z8y7ax0 said:

On mine using the full width seems to be OK so long as you start on the downside of the disc. I presume the two forces sort of cancel each other out?

I get away with it too, making sure that I use the fence set at a true 90% and starting left hand side, would not attempt it free hand.

Back