300mm disc sander advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattias87

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a disc sander to clean up the edges of frames, boxes and circular objects. My budget is around £200, although I am happy to wait and save if there is a noticeable jump in quality.

I had a look on Axminster at the Axminster Craft AC300DS and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?
I had a search on here and see that the Record Power DS300 is often mentioned. I was wondering is anyone has any other recommendation?

As long as you realise you cant use 300 mm width. :shock:
The usable area on that is only a maximum of a 150mm wide, and about 75 mm high (6" x 3")

Disc sanders are great for fine tuning angled end grain edges like picture frames, but almost useless if you want to smooth a long box side.

a large belt / disc combo sander might be more what you actually need. 8)

Only belt sanders.

Disc make circular patterns on wood.Sometimes I correct boxes sanded on disc like grid 150....
Using belts 80-100 I have better effect. Sanding along the grain + slight angle.

I spent a few months mulling over which to go with and decided against the Axminster one as having seen one thought the build quality wasn’t good. From memory the table fixings were flimsy. The Trade model just didn’t feel like it was worth the extra spend.

I got the Record and have been really pleased with it.

Thank you for your replies. I will have a look at belt disc sander, I hadn't even considered them.
That's good to know about the Axminster one, I'll keep away from that.

Mattias87":25l9iwxm said:
I am looking to get a disc sander to clean up the edges of frames, boxes and circular objects. My budget is around £200, although I am happy to wait and save if there is a noticeable jump in quality.

I had a look on Axminster at the Axminster Craft AC300DS and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?
I had a search on here and see that the Record Power DS300 is often mentioned. I was wondering is anyone has any other recommendation?

mine arrived last week from Axminster, I bought the craft with the idea that if it wasn't up to par id exchange it for the trade version, but in all honesty I'm very impressed. Takes an age to stop but the cast iron top is square to the sanding face so I had no complaints

Trigs":1bga8v47 said:
Mattias87":1bga8v47 said:

mine arrived last week from Axminster, I bought the craft with the idea that if it wasn't up to par id exchange it for the trade version, but in all honesty I'm very impressed. Takes an age to stop but the cast iron top is square to the sanding face so I had no complaints

How well does the table adjustment lock? I saw some reviews saying it wasn't up to much which worried me a little.

I went for a JET JDS-12 a few years ago, £350 then, and haven't regretted it at all, solid and powerful. I was worried the velcro attachment would result in less that flat edges but I haven't had any problems.

My only complaint is the nvr switch buzzing, axminster did send a replacement but same problem so always turn off at the mains which is a minor inconvenience!

Axminster used to do a great one with a cast iron table and 1hp motor for just over £100, then the price jumped and they switched to an alloy table and the quality dropped markedly.

I would definitely recommend a cast table, alloy tables are too "grabby" for smooth movements and vibrate more. Don't make the mistake of adding a hook and loop backing, defeats the purpose of a disc sander I think.

Mattias87":380du36r said:
How well does the table adjustment lock? I saw some reviews saying it wasn't up to much which worried me a little.

I had the same concern however mine seems fine, it does use the awkward Bristol levers which I find annoying but, great so far

Back