3" Xact Precision Woodturning Chuck (from Rutland)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innerlight

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am VERY new to woodturning but have been having great fun experimenting nonetheless. I started small so bought a 3" Xact Precision Woodturning Chuck from Rutland.

I now need to buy power grip jaws for it but have been told they dont sell them separately and that I would have to buy the full bundle package which includes them (and other jaws that are also sold separately bizarrely). Really annoyed as this seems as it seems a real real ripoff. :?

Can anyone therefore advise which similar jaws from other chuck manufacturers will fit my 3" chuck?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Leftyhermes. Thank you for your reply.

Where does it say that on your link? When I rang Record power and he asked which chuck I had, he said their jaws were not compatible with the 3" xact I have. Am I missing something? Like I said, I am very new to this.

Product Details
This jaw pack contains the 4 x optional jaws to suit the Xact XT8000 and XT8500 Precision Chuck and all the jaws are fully compatible with Record SC3 ...

It's possible of course that they could be compatible in one direction - A jaws might seat on B chuck, but B jaws might not on A chuck. Just a thought.

innerlight":3mg93sbv said:
bought a 3" Xact Precision Woodturning Chuck from Rutland.

On a related note, when you got the chuck did you need to buy the 'Jaw Screws for 3" Woodturning Chucks - Pack of 8' - ie were none included with the chuck?

phil.p":1ps6rbn6 said:
Product Details
This jaw pack contains the 4 x optional jaws to suit the Xact XT8000 and XT8500 Precision Chuck and all the jaws are fully compatible with Record SC3 ...

It's possible of course that they could be compatible in one direction - A jaws might seat on B chuck, but B jaws might not on A chuck. Just a thought.

Hi Phil. Thanks for message.

I'm still not seeing where it says 'compatible with Record SC3' for the Jaws. I see the threaded insert is compatible with 'popular brands of Lathes...' but not the jaws?

ScaredyCat":1b0j1ntd said:
innerlight":1b0j1ntd said:
bought a 3" Xact Precision Woodturning Chuck from Rutland.

On a related note, when you got the chuck did you need to buy the 'Jaw Screws for 3" Woodturning Chucks - Pack of 8' - ie were none included with the chuck?

Screws came with chuck.

innerlight":3hndnqmo said:
I'm still not seeing where it says 'compatible with Record SC3' for the Jaws. I see the threaded insert is compatible with 'popular brands of Lathes...' but not the jaws?

Click on " Woodturning Jaw Pack for 3" Woodturning Chucks - Xact, Record SC3, Viper 2" for product details.

innerlight":3ouucbvi said:
phil.p":3ouucbvi said:
Product Details

Hi Phil. Thanks for message.

I think, if you look at the Jaw Pack it says:

"This jaw pack contains the 4 x optional jaws to suit the Xact XT8000 and XT8500 Precision Chuck and all the jaws are fully compatible with Record SC3, Dakota XT650 and Viper 2 chucking systems...."

The implication is that it might work the other way round too.

To be clear.

I have the 3" xact precision chuck.
It came with screws.
It came with standard jaws.

The jaws I want are the two I have arrowed below (which apparently one can only buy in this bundle pack, and I think that is a rip-off). The
2nd image below are extra jaws that fit the 3" chuck, sure, but that is irrelevant as it is not those I wish to purchase.

Rtaqygf.jpg

XkQCow4.jpg

Yes, that's understood, but the implication of compatability for jaws (the distance and size of the screw holes etc) matching the SC3 chuck is that the chuck might be compatible with SC3 Jaws - ie see if the SC3 ones work on the xact 3" chuck.

So, I have just called Power and Axminister and explained the 3" xact Precision chuck I have from Rutland. They both say their jaws are not compatible to it so not looking great.

Looks like Rutland have customers over a barrel with these two jaws. Only way to buy these is to buy their complete set for £149.95 (inc VAT of course), which has my chuck and standard jaws as well. Great!

So if a newbie like me comes along and buys the 3" chuck (which I did) and then buys the additional four jaw pack (which is a reasonable thing to do as one wants to do more), then they still have to buy the 'complete set pack' to obtain the two extra jaws sets I am after in this instance.

Britain at its finest.

phil.p":3d4pv468 said:
"This set doesn't have the jaws I'm after"
No, but the details do specify they are fully compatible with Record SC3. I wonder if there's anyone close to you who'd let you try a set of jaws from an SC3?

I called Record Power and they said the SC3 jaws are not compatible. Hmmm.

Back to what I said - It is possible Rutlands are compatible with Record, but Record not compatible with Rutlands. I would expect Record to be happy to admit their jaws would fit other chucks if they did, but who knows? The only way you'll know with certainty is to try a set, or to find someone else who's tried.

Rutland might be saying that the screw fixings are the same PCD and that any reverse safety location spigot ribs or slots will not foul the Record chucks (because they do not engage on the record chuck).

It might be that the record safety spigot system does not mate with the Rutland and Record would not advocate their use even if they will fit the screw PCD.

Safety Spigot systems consist of Male and Female components and can be reversed on different chuck brands.

phil.p":2rnjrfxw said:
... I wonder if there's anyone close to you who'd let you try a set of jaws from an SC3?
Maybe an easier option is to get someone with an SC3 to measure their carriers and compare that with the dimensions on the drawing I've just created of the carriers on mine. I bought the same chuck 'kit' from Rutland when they called it the 'Dakota' XT650 two years ago so I doubt that they have changed the design --- could that be famous last words :?
Chuck Jaw Carriers.png

I've only shown the salient dimensions.

Attachments

• Chuck Jaw Carriers.png
    Chuck Jaw Carriers.png
    37 KB · Views: 493
I can imagine 'won't fit' being a standard reply from any manufacturer. They must get loads of similar queries, a lot of potential for misunderstanding, and if they said yes OK and later a lump of chuck flies off and kills a nearby cat "but you said it fitted" - all kinds of liability issues. Citroen wheels might well fit a Ford, who knows, but nobody at Citroen or Ford will say yes, sure, off you go ...

The only real way is to check measurements or try record jaws for real.

I'd not come across that chuck set before, but looking at it online I would say £149 is stonking value for all that if its decent quality. Record SC3 jaws are between £30 and £60, the 2 you want will set you back £85 or so and if you want anything more in future it will soon rack up. If you are enjoying turning and can afford it, you could go for it and know you have 2 chucks and all the jaws you are every likely to need. After 9 months of developing my skills from scratch (not that many hours, it's cold out there and other things intervene) I certainly would enjoy the luxury of keeping a chuck with a most used standard set permanently on and use the other for everything else, and you could easily change between concurrent jobs. Or you could buy the big set and try to sell the other one to recover at least part of the value.

Back