3 piece wedge marking gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
A good while ago there was a thread where someone had the design for a marking gauge.

It was very smart using 3 pieces of wood for the fence and a wedge to hold the fence in place.

That is about all I can recall, can anyone point me in the direction of the thread.

(I've used the search bit with no luck).

johns pics 007.JPG
johns pics 004.jpg
johns pics 003.JPG
Not sure where the thread is but there are 2 basic types of wedge gauge. The English and French. English has the wedge running along the stock and the French have the wedge at right angles to the stock. They could never agree on anything.
https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/a-good-gauge/
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-c ... _Gauge.pdf

I made a couple of the French pattern ones a few years back.

Regards
John

Attachments

• johns pics 003.JPG
    johns pics 003.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 457
  • johns pics 004.jpg
    johns pics 004.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 478
  • johns pics 007.JPG
    johns pics 007.JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 477
  • johns pics 006.JPG
    johns pics 006.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 444
Thanks,

What is the best method for cutting the wedge into the fence for an English one.

Simply just raise one side of the line to create the slope?

B3nder":ovi0p9dm said:
Thanks,

What is the best method for cutting the wedge into the fence for an English one.

Simply just raise one side of the line to create the slope?

Yes that will do it. A shallow angle is better at holding. To transfer that angle to the wedge place squared bit of wood against the sloped side of motice then mark off with a pencil. Plane to line. For final fitting of wedge I rub on sandpaper on a flat surface.
Regards
John

Good luck and remember that having a few gauges around is handy so might as well go for a batch. Cutting the mortices is better done on a bigger bit of wood as it is easier to hold and clamp down so making a few at a time is practical and saves wood. I have some with pins some with cutters and one that takes a pencil.
Regards
John

Back