3 Phase tool's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycktm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
Does anyone work with 3 phase , i know a man who's got a lathe with a 5-6 foot bed also a planer thicknesser 16 inch capacity.He's got a workshop full of cnc machines and say's he doesn't use these two no more.
He was just telling me but three phase no good to me.
Thanks.

I'm probably one of the few here with a workshop full of 3-phase stuff, so....

What you need to know is the size (kW) and speed (rpm) of the existing motor and you need to take a look at the motor mounting plate - is the motor mounted conventionally on feet? 3000 rpm will mean a 2-pole motor,m 1500 rpm a 4-pole motor (more expensive). I'd be careful about taking on a 16in P/T as you are probably looking at 5 to 7HP (see note below)

There are 2 main ways to convert a 3-phase lathe to single phase:

1. Swap the 3-phase motor for a single one. May require a replacement pulley, too and the DoL starter might not be big enough either (a 3hp 3-phase 415volt motor requires 1a 6Amp contactor set, 3hp 1-phase 240volt requires 10amps), or the coil could be a 415volt (phase to phase) coil which is no good for 240volt operation. Contactor sets come in from £20 to £30, motors 2 to 3HP run £70 to £100. Try Machine Mart for both.

2. Install a static phase inverter. This will convert single phase to 3-phase. Costs on 2 to 3hp in the region of £150 to £250 if you eBay it. If you are lucky you might pick-up one which will allow frequency regulation -0 so you can change speed by changing the frequency of the current supplied to the motor. This is more expensive, but MUCH simpler.

Remember that on start-up a 3hp motor potentially draws 16Amps - more than a 13Amp plug can take so bigger machines need to be connected through something like a BS.4343 plug or permanently wired through an isolator box. Make sure that the circuit is protected by a motor-rated (type D?) MCB and NOT a fuse. Avoid anything boigger than 3hp as you'll have the devil of a time getting a motor and wiring it in (the greater amperages onb 240volts will require heavier wiring)

Lastly, are you sure that you can manhandle these items into your shop? Cast iron weighs a heck of a lot (that lathe will be potentially 1/2-tonne plus, 1-tonne plus if it's a big Wadkin or Pickles) and getting it down a gravel drive isn't an easy option.

As you're also in W. Yorks if you'd like some more info, why not PM me?

Hope that helps

Scrit

Mods - any chance of generating a FAQ or something for this?

Cheer's Scrit,
but i'm not really interested in the gear (it's outta my league :( )Its's just that he said the planner/thicknesser was only worth about £500.Its a 4 hp roller drive motor + a 1 hp blade drive motor :shock: .The lathe is a wadkin(think he said £200).So i thought maybe it was cheap for anyone with 3 phase.I just work out of my garage.
Sorry if i gave the wrong impression :oops:

I know someone who's looking for a bigger lathe, could you put me in touch, please? Problem with 3-phase industrial is that a lot of new legislation has come in since 2001 and quite a few of these older machines are illegal and just too costly to upgrade, especially machines like P/Ts and rip saws. ell at least I've posted the bare bones for anyonbe who wants to know

Scrit

i'll see him wednesday will let you know. I think he's got an e-mail address,funnily enough he seems to do exactly the same as you do!

Scrit we all have 3 phase in our workshops .
Phase 1 Start work
Phase 2 Do something wrong
Phase 3 Throw wood at wall and wonder why we bother :lol:

andycktm":15fsjf8x said:
i'll see him wednesday will let you know. I think he's got an e-mail address,funnily enough he seems to do exactly the same as you do!
Sure it isn't me in disguise, then? :lol: :lol:

JFC ROFLMAO :lol:

Scrit

JFC

I now have a fourth phase. :?

Pick it up of the floor cut it to size and chuck it the hotspot woodburner. :p

at least it keeps me warm while I start again. :roll:

Les

Back