3 phase tool advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexupnorth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I stumbled across an online auction house selling machine tools at bargain prices, but suspect that many will require a 3 phase supply. I've done some research on 3 phase converters, but really don't understand the full details and don't want to buy a white elephant.

I'm looking for something that will power a metal lathe and one or two other items (but not necessarily at the same time). Am I wasting my time or should I bag a bargain and go for the converter?

Many thanks,

Ade.

Im no expert but converters come in output power ratings. So you find out what power the machine is you wish to buy (in watts or kilo watts) and you buy the convert that will supply no less than or more then the watts required.

Im not sure if your able to run more than one machine at a time with them but someone will confirm. It makes sense that if two machines running on the one converter don't require more watts then it gives out its fine but with the nature of the device I wouldn't like to commit to that answer.

HTH

I bought a transwave phase converter a couple years back, It's all about the horse power. There's a few different types, the main 3 I looked at were this:
Static converter: these are perfectly ok but do not produce 3 phase instead I think they con the motor into thinking its getting 3 phase.
Digital inverter: I think there's a couple of types the less expensive and the expensive, obviously the expensive will be better for you motor.
Rotary Converter: this is very good as it uses a slave motor to produce 3 phase, if you stick a voltmeter on the output it say 415v or thereabouts.
I know you'll need 1hp more than you machine to run it OK.
Its been a while since I looked into them but I do know Transwave pretty much invented the technology (Not the digital inverters) and still are at the top end of phase converters.
However there's a bloke on eblag called Daves direct or Dave dessert or something like that.
I definitely recommend calling Transwave, they will happily talk you through the ins and out of all phase converters, they helped me out no end even though I didn't buy from them. Google Transwave.

My 8hp rotary converter is the dogs, I had and electrician wire it to a 3phase socket on the wall, its very quiet and very heavy, just sits in the corner of the workshop humming, 8hp will power pretty much any woodworking machine I could put in the garage for example I think my Wadkin AG10 saw is only 1.5hp and My Sedwick is no more than 2.

Back