3 phase motors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Real wood

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just bought a wadkin ags10 table saw on ebay and it has a 2hp 3ph motor on it. Id like to change this to maybe a 4 or 5 hp motor. Does anyone know the best place to buy them.

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

I am not sure that its the best place to get them from but Machine Mart list 3 phase motors of 4 or 5.5 HP and bigger, up to 20HP. :shock:

I have a Wadkin AGS that I have fitted with a 3HP single phase motor. Can I ask what you are going to be cutting if you think you need 5HP to do it? With a sharpe blade my 3HP motor has taken everything I have pushed in to it, including using a dado head. :-$

The saw has a 2hp 3ph motor on it at the moment. I want it to be able to cut anything i throw at it and as im changing it id rather go over the top than just have enough if you no what i mean. I mainly cut hardwoods and i no that the motor wont last long if it is having to run at more than 75% for most of the time. No point me putting a single phase motor on as i have 3 phase. Brook crompton motors is a name that comes to mind.

Hi Steve

Brook Crompton are still in Huddersfield and may be able to supply a replacement motor. They occasionally put offers up on their site. You might want to scout around some of the woodworking machinery dealers - if you're in E. Yorkshire there's JMJ Woodworking in Skidby (near Hull). If ypou are going up from 2HP to 5HP check that your contactor set (DoL starter) will take the extra load. Some of the older MEM contactor sets may need a replacement (larger) coil fitting.

Scrit

Thanks scrit. I'll give brook a ring tomorrow. I never thought of asking john at jmj. i got my scm planer from him. I will check the contactor set.
Cheers
steve

Real wood":fbqauy73 said:
that the motor wont last long if it is having to run at more than 75% for most of the time.

This is incorect. the motor wil run at full load 100% for its entire life without any detriemtnal effects. Induction motors (for that is what we are talking about) in particualr run almost forever (until the bearings finally collapse)

Latest posts

Back